The Picaxe Book

malti

Hi all,
I am about to buy the Programming & Customizing the Picaxe Microcontroller book. Does anyone know of any errata, mistakes etc to correct please

frank_p

Are you a malti from Malta?

It's not a very good book. The online documentation you can download from this site is much better. The book talks at length about several issues but the forum here is a much better option to learn things than this book.

Some people have a lot of hands-on experience which you will not get from the book!

BeanieBots

There will be a lot of "discrepancies" in the book because things have moved on since it was written.

For example, you can't use "Loop" as a label because that is now a command line for "Do/Loop" structures.
Also, there are new PICAXE variants not covered by the book.

I don't have the book so cannot comment from first hand experience but a general consensus seems to be that it does not contain any information that is not available in the "official" manuals available as free download. What I can say for sure is that the manuals will contain information that is not in the book.

westaust55

Programming & Customising the PICAXE

You could do some gooling and forum searching yourself but as I knew these existed here goes:

The same question was raised recently with the same thread title:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10478

Here are some comments by others (including Stan Swan) on the amazon website:
http://www.amazon.com/review/product/0071457658/ref=cm_rdp_hist_hdr_cm_cr_acr_txt?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
Click in the image of the book (at right of the page like I gave) and you can see the contents pages and index of the book

No link to hand, but I recall reading an the internet that there are some typo errors in the book - don't expect me to tell you where they are. . .

Edit:
I note that later releases of this book are now emblazoned with:
"The Official PICAXE Manual"
I wonder if that has Rev Ed support ? :confused:

Attachments

Last edited:

rmeldo

I am with BB on this.

I bought and read the book, but then I read the three Picaxe manuals and found that most of the information was more up to date and extensive in the manuals.

The book is not badly written, just not very different from the manuals.

I wish I had spent those £30 on electronics parts instead

Riccardo

Dippy

Well, by default, the Manuals have GOT to be more up to date.
So, a regular download of the latest version is a MUST.
Most books (esp. technology related) are out of date as soon as they are published.

My WIBNI.
An online 'book' combining the manual and dozens of pages on:
1) Basic electronics with pretty pictures and a minimal level of maths.
2) More examples for each command.
3) Showing how commands can interact with external devices.
-3a) A list of suggested components for projects and/or spec to look for.
4) The Basics on reading Device Data Sheets - i.e. the main parameters
5) And finally, run through a Smell Chekker and proof read.
- i.e. the PICAXE Bible, perhaps co-authored by hippy and BB.

BeanieBots

I'd actually be up for doing that but unfortunatley, not as a 'freebie'.
It would be a very large task to take on and I'd need to justify the investment.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It would be a very large task to take on and I'd need to justify the investment.

That is really the bottom line for anyone who wanted to take on such a venture, and applies to almost all ventures, publishing or otherwise. There's a whole lot more to it than simply 'publishing'.

Dippy

A big task for an individual.
I think most of us realise that physical publishing is the easy bit :) (time-wise I mean).

But a first step would be based what we already have.
i.e. grafting big chunks from the 3 current main manuals, with more and better examples, some of which could be lifted from currently available project manuals.

Some brainy individual could do that in a month. A bit of cut'n'paste, some new examples and drawings and then half an hour with the Spell checker* :)
(obviously any ex-Government employee would take 3 times longer)

Personally, I think whether anything will ever get done, or whether an individual would get funding depends on Rev-Ed's raison d'etre or "Mission Statement".
(Jezzz, I hate that phrase, but you know what I mean).

* People often poo-poo spell checkers. I used to use Adobe pagemaker for all my documents, it had great insight. My nearest local Council offices are housed in 'Westport House' in Wareham. When I wrote a letter to them , the spellchecker suggested I changed "Westport House" to "Wastepaper House" - how intuitive is that then !!!

BCJKiwi

Surely the answer to the constant discussion on the manuals is for Rev-Ed to moderate an on-line Wiki style (and downloadable) Manual. Then all those that find errors and want to add examples can do so freely with the existing Rev-Ed manual resources (and others approved to do so) being used to moderate the Wiki.

Last edited:

George Sephton

Ive got it, its good for beginners, it explains the basics then gives loads of examples and explains them really in detail. Frank__P is right you could get answers here especially for complex stuff but to be honest if gives examples that work and are helpful and its not like its ridiculously out of date like people are saying, I can say Ive never encountered a problem with the stuff in there but maybe that's just me. Id buy it, its not like its >£20, or is it? I got mine for £15.

frank_p

@BCJKiwi
That's a good idea. It requires less effort by everyone and examples and suggestions can always be verified by Rev-Ed themselves. It would be a better approach.

Also, what is a little bit confusing is the 3 manuals. I think it should be just one and a good reference index at the back. Maintaining one manual it would also be easier. And annotation of changes at the beginning can help a lot to compare the differences and version number of the manual.

Marcwolf

Updating Book

Also there would have to be a lot of updates in the book for the 28X2

Sorry - Did I just mention the 28X2.. :>

KIGX

I bought the book off e_bay before I got my PICaxes. After I started reading the PICaxe manuals it seemed like the book was a regurgitation of the manuals except the manuals are better in many respects. I'd say that if you are a real rookie at programming then looking at the code in the book is helpful and if you don't mind spending the $ then go for it. I had written many Basic programs years ago and have entry to intermediate understanding of electronics. I did read the book cover to cover but overall I'm lukewarm about it and have also thought myself that someone needs to do a better one.

Dippy

It would be the ideal time to write one.
Most of the PICAXE products are mature and sorted.

Someone, somewhere has the X2 spec, so the chapter could be included.

They could be launched/published on the same day .....;)

malti

The Book or the Online Mnaual ??

I would prefer a printed manual, rather than online pdf. Furthermore, considering ink, paper, electricity etc, the Programming & Customizing The Picaxe as a printed book is cheaper.

BeanieBots

I would prefer a printed manual, rather than online pdf. Furthermore, considering ink, paper, electricity etc, the Programming & Customizing The Picaxe as a printed book is cheaper.

Blimey, where do you buy your ink & paper. I must avoid it!

papaof2

Printer paper is something which should only be bought during a sale - and after careful reading of the other sale items ;-)

Example: This week Staples has a case (10 reams) of copy paper (20lb, 92 bright) for $40US with a $10US rebate. But the same flyer has two 5 ream mini-cases (22lb, 98 bright) for $50US with a $25US rebate. Pay $30US (after rebate) for 10 reams of copy paper or $25US (after rebate) for 10 reams of better paper.

Inkjet printers are made using the same philosophy Kodak used for years with film cameras - sell them at/near cost because the profit is in the supplies (film & processing). For inkjet printer manufacturers, the profit is in the ink - not the printer.

For printing more than a couple dozen pages per month, an inexpensive ($80US or less) laser printer (the Brother HL2040 or similar) and discount toner (Ebay - 3 cartridges for $80US delivered) is much cheaper. Printer plus toner for 5000+ pages for $160US; no inkjet printer comes close.

John

drowsy

As a n00b, I like it, it has probs though.

Hi there. As a complete n00b to circuits as well as picaxe, I really like the book. However, the pagination is not at all trued up with the index, so you have to hunt a little bit. If the authors did write an updated (and more carefully produced) version I'd buy it.

PhilipS

I found the book useful even though it is *very* similar to the content of the Rev-Ed manuals. One problem I discovered is that the web site that has further information, and presumably the programs for download rather than typing in yourself, doesn't seem to be on-line (www.lincsoft.com) - I get a DNS error. If anyone knows whether the information/programs are available elsewhere I would be interested.

manie

Stop advertising the book then ?

According to my browser, lincsoft doesn't exist anymore.
:eek::eek:
If the support site is not on-line anymore, shouldn't Rev-Ed stop advertising the book ? Personally I think the "on-line Wiki..." idea sounds good. We could all "chip" (pun intended) in something that may be helpfull.
Manie

I wish I had not bought this book. The money would have been better used for projects. I assumed that because it was advertised by RevEd it would expand on the contents of the 3 Picaxe manuals. There might be something useful in the book but I have yet to find it.

modeng2000