Techsupplies shop VAT? Conspiracy ;-)

smeagol

Looks like Techsupplies are in league with the government and charging VAT twice.

The prices shown in the shop have a VAT included price, which appears as the item price in your basket. Then they add VAT on again.

Techsupplies must be an agent of the government and, not content with the imminent VAT increase to 20%, are trying to hide a new VAT rate of 35%.

It's a conspiracy I tell you.

For those with a sense of humour syntax error please put your tongue firmly in your cheek.

smeagol

Don't expect it will be fixed until next week. I only just noticed it when I went to place an order. I've e-mailed Tech Supplies.

Dippy

I just tried on one thing and it was OK.

Maybe one or two items are dicky.:confused:

Can you Screen-save and post an example please Smeagy.

Dippy

I'm still confused.

I used your link;
An 08M £1.50 (£1.76 inc VAT)

So, I added it to basket.

And in my basket is:
08M £1.50
Delivery £2.50
Total £4.00
VAT (17.5%) £0.70
Total Amount £4.70

What's wrong with that?
I think we need a screen image.
When does VAT go up to 20% by the way?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
We will investigate any anomalies but I don't see any with the AXE007M / 08M; I see "£1.50 (£1.76 inc. VAT)" and my basket matches what Dippy shows. This may be something to do with how one is registered and whether the account is set for UK/EU or something else, whether a personal, business or education account.

VAT increases as we pass through midnight between Monday 3rd of January into Tuesday 4th of January, GMT. Zero, exempt and reduced rate items do not change.

In simple terms, anything bought on or after 4th January 2011 GMT will be subject to the 20% VAT rate if it were 17.5% previously.

The 20% VAT rate will apply where applicable no matter if the rate of VAT is stated as 17.5%. Suppliers have 28 days leeway to correct published VAT rates.

For the single 08M purchase, £4.70 inc P&P and VAT now, that will, by my calculations, increase to £4.80 inc P&P and VAT on the 4th of January, an approximate 2.13% increase.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/forms-rates/rates/rate-rise-guidance.pdf

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
@Hippy

It appears to be on all product individual pages for me, the same as Stigofthedump's screendump.
Can we please be specific about what "it" is, especially as some of us are not seeing the same as you are :)

Additional information which would be useful is -

The exact URL of which page you are looking at
Which browser and version is being used to visit the page
Whether you are registered, and whether logged in or not ( in the store, not forum )
Whether it's the VAT pricing on a page and/or checkout basket calcs which are incorrect
What those incorrect checkout calculations show in full

StigOfTheDump

Smeagol's link

http://www.techsupplies.co.uk/epages/Store.sf/sec9f66ad8476/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Products/AXE007M

takes me to

Code:
http://www.techsupplies.co.uk/epages/Store.sf/sec9f66ad8476/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Products/AXE007M
If I use Opera or IE then it shows £1.76 inc VAT)

If I use Firefox 3.6.13

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

and view source I get the following code

Code:
<!-- BEGIN INCLUDE C:\epages\Cartridges\DE_EPAGES\Product\Templates\BasePageType.INC-DisplayPrice.html 0.005 seconds -->

£1.50

<!-- END INCLUDE C:\epages\Cartridges\DE_EPAGES\Product\Templates\BasePageType.INC-DisplayPrice.html -->

<!-- BEGIN added by ITQ for consistency with Catalog/Templates/SF/NavElements/SF.SpecialOfferBox.html -->

(£1.50 inc. VAT)

<!-- END added by ITQ for consistency with Catalog/Templates/SF/NavElements/SF.SpecialOfferBox.html -->
If I view it in my RapidPHP editor I get this (line 705)
Code:
<!-- BEGIN INCLUDE C:\epages\Cartridges\DE_EPAGES\Product\Templates\BasePageType.INC-DisplayPrice.html 0.005 seconds -->

£1.50

<!-- END INCLUDE C:\epages\Cartridges\DE_EPAGES\Product\Templates\BasePageType.INC-DisplayPrice.html -->

<!-- BEGIN added by ITQ for consistency with Catalog/Templates/SF/NavElements/SF.SpecialOfferBox.html -->

(£1.76 inc. VAT)

<!-- END added by ITQ for consistency with Catalog/Templates/SF/NavElements/SF.SpecialOfferBox.html -->
I know different browsers display things differently. But PRICES?

I am logged in

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Thanks for the info StigOfTheDump. I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.20 and it displays £1.76 for me. It does seem to be something to do with browsers or perhaps the way they handle cookies or something, perhaps the way the server back-end is detecting browsers or cookies. We'll have to dig into this one.

smeagol

It appears to be with my login. Just tried with IE 8 and Firefox 3.6.13

On both browsers when logged in the price shows £1.50 (£1.50 inc VAT)

When not logged in on both browsers the price shows £1.50 (£1.76 inc VAT)

It's only on the product page, checkout and basket agree, assuming price, ex VAT, is £1.50

Last edited:

StigOfTheDump

Seems to be when you go to the secure https pages that it goes wrong. Probably explains why I saw it differently in different browsers. Firefox logs me in automatically.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Thanks for all the useful info on what seems to be happening. It is greatly appreciated.

Minifig666

The same occurs on safari (mobile) fine until I logged in.
Don't worry though, Rev Ed isn't cheating you out of money or loosing (or is it losing) any. You'll just have to work out VAT yourself.

fritz42_male

I'm not UK so "I don' pay no stinkin VAT!"

However last time I bought from rev-ed they added VAT even though I'm not in the UK.

Will check on my next order

fritz42_male

Normally I would but I had some money in the UK I wanted to use up. Be different now

However 08m in the UK is £1.50 Inc vat = au$2.28 or less if I get the vat back.

Microzed charge Au$3.55 - quite a markup!

As for the taxman - well let's just say I don't believe in swearing in such distinguished company as in this forum. :cool:

Last edited:

Dippy

Lordy, I swear at the Taxman all the time.:)

In defence of markups. (excessive ones excepted).
1. If there is a warranty claim it costs.
2. If there is a warranty claim the postage costs.
3. Sometimes people want support - that costs.
4. A company probably has to pay any duty/tax in full , even the paperwork costs.
5. They have to eat so that they can still exist next year for you - even if there is a sales drought.
6. All paperwork costs.

Still annoyed about one pesky dollar? Give up your cushy job and try being an importer & dealer.
It's a bit different to selling stuff on Ebay/Amazon from your bedroom.

fritz42_male

Still annoyed about one pesky dollar? Give up your cushy job and try being an importer & dealer.
It's a bit different to selling stuff on Ebay/Amazon from your bedroom.
Been there, done it for 20 odd years and still doing it! I don't object to the markup especially on a low price item. In fact on something this I'd expect a markup of 2-300% - it takes a lot of sold 08Ms to make a living wage. I now have a business that costs me over $20,000 a month to run - that's cost not turnover!

Seriously, I'd rather he charges what he does and stay in business as a local resource than drop his prices and go bust. It's a tough world business wise at the moment.

Dippy

OK , so why did you say "quite a markup!" as though it was disgraceful - or was it meant ironically?
I'm not particulary worried, in fact not worried at all, but it just seems odd :confused:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
.... I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.20 ....
@Hippy - You know there have been a few upgrades, don't you? :D
I hate unnecessary code bloat and feature creep, adding 'eye candy' or support for the latest transient fad, with applications deciding to 'do it their way', ignoring the look-and-feel of the OS as I like it, refusing to honour my choices and imposing their own, having to jump through hoops to undo what they've 'improved'. FF3 fell into that category if for no other reason than imposing a huge Back button. Also FF3 doesn't run on 98SE, and while I'm primarily running XP now, I was mainly using 98SE. I skipped the upgrade and haven't seen any need to use anything but FF2.

I don't think there's anything worse than an 'upgrade' which actually turns out to be a 'downgrade' and I've run into that numerous times so many apps I use are old versions, and I only upgrade when forced to; for example Microchip producing PDF that can only be read by the latest Acrobat Reader which IMO is inferior to earlier versions.

Each to their own but I'm a great believer in, if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it, and I'm rarely led by what others think I need or should be using :)

Dippy

I agree. I also get tired of flash-before-function.

"I don't think there's anything worse than an 'upgrade' which actually turns out to be a 'downgrade' and I've run into that numerous times..."
- too true , I've seen occasions where Mk5 is worse than Mk4 , BUT after a kick up the coding Jaxie the Mk6 is a big step.
Be careful though , if we get too stuck in our old ways then we stagnate.

The trouble is that we get more ludditic as we get older.
And as we get older we like to make up words too.:rolleyes:

But, let's not tar every App with the same bah-humbug-they-don't-make-them-like-they-used-to brush. Quite often there are code improvements hidden in the bowels of the App and often masked by bloat and fancy graphics.
Though , I admit, it often seems that code-writers efficiency seems inversely proportional to hardware advances.

This is where micro writing is a good schooling isn't it boys and girls.

The other trouble is, that if the people who provide advice and support don't keep up with the times (at least roughly) then it is more difficult for them to advise as they don't know what the hell people are talking about.
An expert in one field of programming doesn't make them an expert in every field.
We all play catchup throught life, but it's never advisable to get too far behind unless you are retired :)
So, it's usually a good idea to be up-to-last-year on your relevant App portfolio.
I have been hoist by my own leotard on several occasions due to that same mind-set , believe me.

smeagol

OK it started with a simple. and amusing I thought, post about a slight problem with a webpage. We've now moved through the economics of being a distrubutor, ludites, bloatware, the programming youth of today ( spoilt with overpowered processors and seemingly unlimited memory, and how microcontrollers will be the saviour of good programming practice ) and now were on Dippy's fetish clothing ( still not forgiven for calling me smeagy ;-) )

Where next?
I love diversification

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The other trouble is, that if the people who provide advice and support don't keep up with the times (at least roughly) then it is more difficult for them to advise as they don't know what the hell people are talking about.
That's the proverbial double-edged sword; don't keep up and you can't help with the latest stuff, do and one soon cannot remember how it worked for how it used to be ! If you can't support the people who haven't upgraded you make yourself part of the 'must upgrade' cycle and force everyone to follow the herd whether they want to or not. As always, there's no easy answers.

Dippy

Really? Which is better?

1. Upgrading and being up to date ... but if you forget the old stuff then refresh the memory. Refreshing is far, far easier than learning new stuff.

or,

2. Don't upgrade , live in sepia, and not have a clue as to the lastest stuff. If you miss 3 'generations' you can be completely lost.

Eh? if you upgrade you aren't forcing people to be one of the herd.
How do you work that one out? I think you're clutching a bit with that one ;)

AND , of course, you will have the extra wisdom as to whether to recommend others to upgrade and/or how to deal with an upgrade....
AND , if the new one is awful you can usually go back ... as long as you haven't committed the sin.
AND , in some cases, you can still run the old one.

Sorry, smeagol, I usually stick a "y" on everyone's name.
And your tag line is "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast."
Well, the last person I heard say that was Rimmer from Red Dwarf . So you're lucky I didn't call you Smeag-heeeaad as said by Kryton. :)
If you're offended then sorry.

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Eh? if you upgrade you aren't forcing people to be one of the herd. How do you work that one out? I think you're clutching a bit with that one ;)
More that if you've upgraded, cannot remember how to for someone who hasn't, cannot afford the time to find how to, those who want your help are faced with Hobson's choice of 'upgrade to what I'm using or can remember if you want me to help, or fix it yourself'.

Take 433MHz RF; if Rev-Ed decided it was not worth the effort and cost of providing support for non-NKM2401 users now the NKM2401 exists, withdrew support for non-NKM2401 users and no one else stepped-up to help, PICAXE users would effectively be forced into using the NKM2401 if they want our support, or sorting their problems out on their own.

techElder

Sorry Hippy ... I was just poking at you a bit. I didn't know that Dippy was going to jump in with both feet! :rolleyes:

fritz42_male

Dippy, it was a gut reaction thing and I ought to have known better - mea culpa! OK, you've smacked my wrist (I should report you for abuse!) and I feel suitably ashamed.

Hippy, know what you mean re bloat - I'm still on XP and Office 2003. If it ain't broke, don't play with it. However, in defence, Microstuffed may have cocked up Vista but they made a good job of redressing things with Windows 7

I reckon however that they missed a darn good chance to draw a line in the sand and recode everything from scratch based on reducing code size and increasing speed. By now, the OS ought to be self healing, impervious to virus/trojans etc and so on. One of the original concepts of the whole Windows thing was not to load code modules until you needed them (DLL).

Ah for the good old days of my Altos Xenix systems - 32 users running off a 286 processor and with response times significantly better than networked PCs now!

Still, you guys may be becoming ever more ludditic (is that even a genuine word?) but I'm still as open as I ever was. It's just that I've lost too many brain cells to alcoholic overindulgence so it takes me 4 times as long to learn things. It's a closing loop and in another ten years, I expect I'll have to relearn my name about 4 times a day!

Hey Smeagol, every time someone comes in to my shop to have a kitchen designed and they have Smeg appliances, I can't resist a smirk!

Minifig666

Why does anyone use firefox at all? Most people upgrade because it's (hardly) faster. The thing is when your browsing you don't want a row of tool bars in the way that make the bowser unstable and longer to start up.
Often if you want to check your emails you have to wait for IE to start (about 15-20 secs on an average desktop) navigate and load the page, check, and close it.

IE on most basic settings takes me 30 secs to navigate to my emails. (On a i7 920 (watercooled) 3GB RAM ect. Similar results in firefox.
Google Chrome takes <2 seconds to load up and show the google page and 5 seconds to get to my email page.
Even better there is nothing to get in the way. A tab bar at the top, an address bar, and an optional bookmarks bar. It is a rival for safari on windows and doesn't take any time to load. AKA, use google chrome!

Oh and smeagol, that is keeping quite well on track for a thread this size. You'll get used to it quickly, and still be amazed when you do!

Last edited:

Haku

I get that :( because I use computers a lot, friends think I'm some sort of genius who knows what's what when it comes to buying a new one or building one from separately bought parts. The world of PC components changes so quickly I lost track of what's top-notch years ago.
This P4 OC'd to 3ghz I'm using is still running Win2k, I got given an old PC from my brother who repairs/upgrades them for a living, the motherboard had blown so I got an identical one 2nd hand plus some decent cooling fans and now I have a nice Core 2 Duo 2.66ghz OC'd to a stable 3.2ghz which I use for general video work including VHS/Betamax/laserdisc capturing & cleaning up to burn to DVD. But I still use this old thing as my main PC because it still works 'ok'.

I'm with hippy, if it ain't (too) broke, why fix/replace it :)

westaust55

IE on most basic settings takes me 30 secs to navigate to my emails. (On a i7 920 (watercooled) 3GB RAM ect. Similar results in firefox.
Must be in the set up.
  • Under Win XP SP3 and with a vintage AMD Athlon XP3200 (~2 GHz) and using firefox I access my Yahoo email in approx 2 to 3 seconds
  • Under Win 7 and i5-650 3.2 GHz and using firefox I access my Yahoo email in approx 2 to 3 seconds

Maybe about 1 sec longer on the AMD system. Both cases are for first access of the day (just tried it)

Also just tried with IE8 on both machines and the speed is darned close to the same.

Times are from clicking the link on the favourites/bookmarks list

Last edited: