Swapping XBee to XBee Pro

josefvs

Hi All,

Got two AXE210 and XBee to work in an RC application, the two AXE210 are the ones with the upgraded regulators for 200mA. I have tried to swap the XBee with XBee Pro, got the later set-up with the wizard, but failed at the ping test.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
From memory the Pro module can take a much larger current than the standard module (300mA? - check the datasheet) and so the regulators will need upgrading.

Janne

Xbee-pro will indeed take about 300mA when transmitting, but the receiving current is the same with a normal one, about 55mA. If you're only transmitting in very short bursts, you might be able to do it with a 100mA regulator. It worked for me, but I only sent 1 byte at a time, and putting the xbee into sleep between transmit cycles.

Dippy

Have you tried swapping things around e.g. a non-Pro sending to a Pro? and/or swapping around to see if a device is a bit dicky.
Have you got the same XBee configuration settings for all of them?
I've been using Pro and 'standard' recently with no problems, both 'Series 1'.

ciseco

I have an AXE board with a PRO on it that's been running for well over two years. I transmit/rec in 12 byte chunks. You will probably need to change the Zetex reg as suggested, it's not butch enough really, I seem to have been fortunate. You could try a very large capacitor as a workaround, 1/2farad will keep a STD xbee up for quite a few seconds, you wont need anywhere near that long.

The PRO has less channels than a standard, just something to be aware of so you don't pick one that only exists on one and not the other. Except for that limitation, you should be able to chop and change without any changes to anything as both work identically from my experience.

Download maxstreams XCTU to check that all the parameters/settings are the same on both devices. The built-in terminal window is very useful too.

Cheers

Miles
________
R1200RT

Last edited:

spiritbear

Hi Ciseco, you said "I have an AXE board with a PRO on it ...." - I guess you mean you've been using a pair of PRO's for comms - how far have you got them to reach, in ft or m?

Thanks
-Bob