Surface mount Picaxe

itolond

Hi Forum,

I wondered what solutions are available to download to Surface mount Picaxe?

I have the experimenter kit but it does not appear to have SM capabilities , what do most of you do in this situation?

rq3

Hi Forum,

I have the experimenter kit but it does not appear to have SM capabilities , what do most of you do in this situation?
All of my Picaxe have so far been surface mount. I fabricate a printed circuit board and use a Switchcraft surface mount 3.5 mm jack to connect to the programming cable (Switchcraft P/N 35RASMT4BHNTRX)

Rip
[h=1][/h]

nick12ab

You don't have to program any PICAXE in the experimenter kit. You can just obtain a download socket (surface mount or not) and put it on the PCB with the PICAXE.

You can also use an SMD-DIP adapter to program the PICAXE using the experimenter kit.

tony_g

i use a soic to dip adapter to program mine before putting on custom boards.

if i make a board that has room to allow it then i also incorporate a 3 pin micro jst socket and use the smd download style socket on another fabricated "programming adapter" board which has the micro jst plug to connect to the board i have made and can program it as needed.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
For a rough and ready solution, if the board has holes for 0.1" headers or pins, it's often possible to place pin headers into those holes, pull the two headers together with an elastic band so they grip the holes, and that make a pretty solid connection. Just need to solder the appropriate pins to a jack socket with flying wire.

g6ejd

You can buy surface mount solder paste, paint it on, then place your chip then get the wife's (or yours :) ) hair-drier out!

Jamster

@g6ejd Does a hairdrier get hot enough? I would've though you'd need more heat than one can provide but I'm tempted to have a go now :p

westaust55

All of my Picaxe have so far been surface mount. I fabricate a printed circuit board and use a Switchcraft surface mount 3.5 mm jack to connect to the programming cable (Switchcraft P/N 35RASMT4BHNTRX)

Rip
[h=1][/h]
Nothing wrong with the Switchcraft item but if buying PICAXE parts from Rev Eds online store (Techsupplies) or other distributors then you may wish to keep in mind that Rev Ed / TechSupplies also sell an SMD stereo programming socket:
http://www.techsupplies.co.uk/epages/Store.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Products/CON039SM

westaust55

I was surprised how cheaply you can get professional quality SOP8 to DIP8 Adapter sockets - $8 with free postage worldwide.

http://dx.com/p/150698
That adapter seems to have a small barrier to locate the SMD IC in the first part to connect via 8 pins within a socket wiht about 20 pins capability.
Wonder if removing the barrier in the middle would allow one to use same to socket to at least program 14M and 20M parts where the "upper" 4 pins power power and programming are located in the same place for each PIACXE chip.

tony_g

That adapter seems to have a small barrier to locate the SMD IC in the first part to connect via 8 pins within a socket wiht about 20 pins capability.
Wonder if removing the barrier in the middle would allow one to use same to socket to at least program 14M and 20M parts where the "upper" 4 pins power power and programming are located in the same place for each PIACXE chip.
i have one similar to that which i got from everyone's favorite online cheap place lol, only cost me about $9 and allows up to 16 pin count soic chips, so it works great for my 8 and 14 pin smd picaxe.

srnet

Make up an adapter, 3.5mm line socket to 3 test hooks.

Then, with the 2 resistors for the download circuit on the PCB, all you need to provide for is 3 small pads.

Clip direct if the pads are on the board edge, or fit 3 small wire loops to the pads.

Attachments

itolond

Hi all,

thanks for the heads-up, I will look through the solutions - As i think most of my projects will be SM projects

Dippy

If hair-driers get hot enough for surface mount then that explains my bald patch.

There are some nice little blowers around with small nozzles and able to turn down the puff so you don't blow all your carefully placed SMDs off the PCB and onto the floor.

For one-off borads and an 'andfull of components paste, tweezers and a fine point are good enough.

papaof2

If hair-driers get hot enough for surface mount then that explains my bald patch.

There are some nice little blowers around with small nozzles and able to turn down the puff so you don't blow all your carefully placed SMDs off the PCB and onto the floor.

For one-off borads and an 'andfull of components paste, tweezers and a fine point are good enough.
Good light and a magnifier (either djustable light and binocular strap-on magnifier or a large lens with light) also help.

Flenser