Sumovore PICAXE Brainboard

slurp

Sumovore is the Solarbotics MiniSumo Kit, there have been a number of "brain boards" to control this robot but I've just spotted that they now have a PICAXE variation with sample code/flowcharts available.

http://www.solarbotics.com/products/k_sv-picaxe/

It's supplied with a 28X1 but the documentation says it supports the 18X and 28X too.

There was a reference to an "Official PICAXE PWM Interface IC" to drive motors. It looks like an 08 controller of some variety, I wondered if anyone had seen these or if it was a pre-coded PICAXE.

regards,
colin

westaust55

Sumovore is the Solarbotics MiniSumo Kit, there have been a number of "brain boards" to control this robot but I've just spotted that they now have a PICAXE variation with sample code/flowcharts available.

There was a reference to an "Official PICAXE PWM Interface IC" to drive motors. It looks like an 08 controller of some variety, I wondered if anyone had seen these or if it was a pre-coded PICAXE.
Certainly an 8 pin chip and maybe the same PIC as the PICAXE 08/08M as the +5V and 0V wires go to the same terminals but no resistors for a serial in line.
Seems it is a PIC with special M/C program and not BASIC.
Driven by PICAXE28X1 outputs 4,5 & 6 and giving 3 ? PWM outputs -still has a couple of wires direct from 28X1 to the Plug1 edge connector for PWM A/B for just 2 motors though.

Last edited:

Andrew Cowan

From the components list:
1 - PICAXE PWM IC (for motor control)

From the photo, the 8 pin PIC looks like a 12F828... Could be a 629 (the same as an 08), I guess...

A

Last edited:

slurp

Via the Sumovore Forum I've found that it's the PWM chip from the PICAXE Micro-Robot (AXE 120).

Looks like an interesting device to insert between the main controller and motor driver. Four lines to control two motors and with a little nifty work the inputs can program the PWM Output.

TECHNICAL - Are these available for sale separately?

regards,
Colin