Steppers and the SAA1027.

cactusface

Hi All,
I have just got myself a couple of nice 200 step stepper motors and want to put them to use. I also have a couple of the old Philips SAA1027 drivers, whcih as some of the older members may recall makes the job fairly easy, in that there are only 2 inputs Step-in and mode(Drection). The SAA1027 needs 12v+ (or more) no problem as the motors are 12v, but the problem is the inputs are not your normal logic or TTL/CMOS, they requre an HIGH of at least 7.5v and a low of 4.5v max. I did think of using transistors, BUT what about a ULN2003 which would also run at 12v using pull ups, as per the schematic below. I did think of adding an LED between the pullup and Gnd as a visual indicator??

I am open to comments good or bad, ideas or would a L293D be just as good perhaps but needs a full port to drive 2, this is only 4 bits for 2.

Regards
Mel.

Attachments

westaust55

Both the transistor and ULN2003 methods should work. The ULN2003 includes 2k7 resistors onto the Darlington bases thus reducing the component count further.

The indicating LED from the pull-up resistor to ground will prevent operation as the LED will give a forward volt drop of the order of 2 to 3.5 Volts preventing the SAA1027 inputs reaching the desired/required voltage.

cactusface

Hi westy,
Thanks for your reply. I'm go with the ULN2003 as it's neater and keeps the component count down a bit. Funny how things change and you don't notice, I recall LEDs dropping about 1.7V and needing 20mA+, but I used one lately and on 5V and with 820R it was still too bright really just for a power indicator, that's a lot less current. Just tried a test set up and it seems to work OK.

Regards
Mel.

Buzby

... but I used one lately and on 5V and with 820R it was still too bright really ...
I use 5v and 4.7K for red LEDs on my breadboard, and they are plenty bright enough for that kind of usage.

The efficiency of modern LEDs is amazing !.