Stepper query

bfgstew

I have the following stepper motor (ASTROSYN 23KM-K033-03), (similar to the NEMA 23?) and am wondering if using the ULN2003 Darlington driver and 08M2+ as shown in manual 3, it would drive it. Its only to drive it forward and backwards to open a chicken coup door, nothing special, I have the code working in simulation.
I have searched the web for data sheets etc but have found nothing relevant to this motor, I have checked the 6 wires and found the 2 commons and 2 pairs for the windings, so rather than testing blindly and releasing magic smoke from either the darlington or 08M2+ thought I would ask on here for advice.

Stewart

bfgstew

As near as dammit e..........;)
Phase resistance is slightly different, I am getting 1.8 ohms (red/yellow and blue/orange) and 0.9 ohms (black/red and black/yellow - white/blue and white/orange).
So looks like it will be a runner?

westaust55

The 23KM series seem to be 24V rated. http://www.nmbtc.com/pdf/catalogs/NMB_Standard_Hybrid_Step_Motors_Catalog.pdf
No specific KM23-K033 in the (current?) datasheet link given above.
But is you measure the winding resistance then Amps = Volts / Resistance and that will give you close to the current. Then compare with the ULN2003 ratings.

Here someone driving the same stepper motor is using dual 5 Amp bridges to control it.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,16740.0.html
Suggests a relatively high current.

EDIT
Last resort - sell em off for something you can get a datasheet for. They might fetch a reasonably high price ;)
http://www.ambry.com/23KM-K033-03.html

bfgstew

Thanks Westaust55. given me some thinking to do...........:rolleyes:
5vdc gives 2.7A 12vdc gives 6.6A, 24vdc gives 13.3A is that correct?

Arduino image has been removed? Never mind, will look a bit deeper and see what comes up, thanks so far guys.....

Stewart

bfgstew

Hi again folks, been digging around a bit more for something to drive these larger steppers and came across a few L6203 MULTIWATT drivers, now these are on a driver card off an old machine at work, the interface is far to complex to even contemplate using it as a complete unit, so I thought just remove the drivers and heatsinks, mount on a piece of veriboard and solder wires off the pins and complete a circuit that way, can anyone guide me/ push me in the right direction as to interfacing with a PICAXE.
Just had another read of data sheet, and seen fig 19 as on driver board is an L297 chip as well, would this be a feasible challenge/project?

matherp

I built a circuit some time ago using the L6203. It is a good chip but needs properly heatsinking and requires quite a few support components. Also the pin layout is difficult to breadboard. I made up some PCBs but made an error in the pinout of some optocouplers I used on the input to the L297 and never took it any further.

The one downside of the L297 is that it doesn't support microstepping. Using a powerful motor with full or half stepping you get a lot of vibration.

I've attached the circuit diagram if it is any use. This was going to be the next generation with the error corrected and a choice of common ground or common +5V on the input to the opto-couplers hence the switches.

Attachments

bfgstew

Thanks for that Peter, I was hoping for something a bit more on the simpler side, as its only to close a largish chicken coup door rnever mind Ill keep digging, see whats lurking on the web.

Stewart