stepper motor wiring

hesinije

Hi all,

I have the Astrosyn stepper motor (Y129-5) as supplied by my Picaxe supplier. I build the circuit as in manual 3 of the Picaxe manual but it does not work. When I measure the resistance between the wires I measure the following:
orange -> yellow 182 Ohm
orange -> black 99 Ohm
yellow -> black 97 Ohm
brown -> red 177 Ohm
brown -> white 92 Ohm
red -> white 92 Ohm
So, black is the centre of the coils orange and yellow and white is the centre of the coils brown and red. As this does not correspond to the drawing in the manual I think that, for unipolar use, black and white should be connected to +12V and orange, brown, red and yellow should be connected to the driver IC. But what should be the sequence of orange, brown, red and yellow?
Or is this respectively coil 1, coil 2, coil 3 and coil 4?
And should black en white indeed be connected to +12V?

Thanks,
Herman, NL

BeanieBots

You readings certainly suggest that the two commons are black & white. I'm only guessing here but without any other information I would start with the assumption that the coils are numbered in accordance with the "standard" colour code. Namely coil 1 brown, 2 red, 3 orange and 4 yellow.
Nothing will be destroyed if you get it wrong so just try it.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
This program works with that stepper motor.

Black V+
White V+
Yellow Output7
Red Output6
Brown Output5
Orange Output4

<code><pre><font size=2>
symbol delay = b0 ' define the variable

let delay = 50 ' set delay to 0.1s

main: let pins = %10100000 ' first step
pause delay ' pause for delay
let pins = %11000000 ' next step
let pins = %01010000 ' next step
let pins = %00110000 ' next step
goto main ' loop forever
</code></pre></font>

does any one have a good program that will allow u to vary the speed of a stepper motor. And anyways this could be done via inferred as i need remote operation.

Rickharris

Every step above will turn the stepper a small distance. The speed is a result of the delay, making it larger will slow the steps down, smaller will make it faster