stepper motor identification help?

tonto2k

Hi,

I have two stepper motors taken from two 5-1/4 floppy drives, they have 4 wires coming out of them: 1 yellow 1 blue 1 red 1 white.

From what I have read on the internet I think these are bipolar stepper motors but I would like some clarification on this if anyone knows please?

The brand/type is: MSHF200A01 SANKYO SEIKI and they are 12 volts.

One last thing, If I want to drive both of them at the same time would it be better to use 1 control board with 8 outputs or 2 boards with 4 outputs each? Its for use as a robot drivetrain.

Thanks in advance :)

geoff07

For your second question, I would be tempted to use one Picaxe for each motor with a third providing the command instructions. That keeps the code and hardware simple and implements the kind of hierarchy that you need to make a robot work as you add complexity with e.g. self-preservation (sensors to stop collisions and falling off edges) and mission management. You could, for example, use serin with an interrupt when you want to change what each Picaxe/motor is doing. This approach costs a bit more but the upside is that things are less complex and you can upgrade one bit without jeopardising the rest.

I used a stepper motor from a floppy to drive an ultrasonic radar. The hardware is finished and rotates back and forth quite nicely, but the rest got parked and I need to dust it off and get it finished! This, if it works, is intended to help the command module steer around obstacles.

tonto2k

Hi guys, First of all thanks for all the informative replies :)

I think from the information you guys gave I should be able to identify the wires and get the motors running. There is only four wires how hard can it be !

I also think I will go for using a picaxe 8's to drive each motor(with a amplifier circuit).

I am thinking of buying these stepper motors I saw on ebay because they are already geared down and it would save me some space on the lego chassis. I am not sure whether they will be powerful enough though because I am currently using lego 9v motors with about 27-1 ratio.

The steppers are here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160231512746&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

Thanks for all your help :)