Star ratings?

PaulRB

Some threads on the forum have 5 yellow stars against them. Even one I started a couple of hours ago. You never see 4, 3, 2 or 1 star. Does it mean anything? Or is it just someone clicking something by accident?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
It means that somebody voted on the 'rate this thread' option at the top of the thread.
There - we just gave you 5 stars to make you feel good.
However if lots of other people give you 1 or 2 stars the overall average will drop and hence your rating will decrease.

AllyCat

Hi,

The "tick box" appears immediately below that for subscription to the thread (on the "Advanced" page), so I wonder how many tick it by mistake (I've nearly done that myself on several occasions).

Cheers, Alan.

John West

I've never voted either way on a thread. Never noticed the feature. I either have amazing powers of concentration, or I'm just not very aware of what's going on around me.

westaust55

It would seem that where moderators have other tools after the “SUBSCRIPTION” option in Advanced mode, from Allycat’s indication, other forum members have the option to rate the thread.

In the read and simply reply modes, the rating is a three step process so not likely to be accidental rating.
In the Advanced reply option mode the selections at the top of the post including rating are removed and from Allycat’s indication, for normal forum members the thread rating is then a quick tick box.
Or is it a tick box and selection dropdown as per normal view mode which means a two step process and thus less likely accidental to achieve a rating?

AllyCat

Hi,

I haven't checked under exactly which conditions the rating "tick box" is offered, but when it is, a drop-down option is shown below (initially greyed-out). However, the default is 5 ("Excellent") and doesn't need to be set or changed. Perhaps it should default to "average" (or a nul) to better represent any "accidental" useage.

Cheers, Alan.

russbow

I can visualise dozens of forum members scurrying to find the tick box now.
I did. Sorry Paul, another "terrible". :(

Jeremy Harris

Thanks for solving one of the minor forum mysteries! I'd always wondered why some threads attracted little gold stars..................

Technoman

Hi

The search engine does not give the possibility of a search with the best rated posts as a criteria. It would be great.

westaust55

Hi

The search engine does not give the possibility of a search with the best rated posts as a criteria. It would be great.
What value is there in that?:confused:
A search on thread rating alone does not address any particular topic and IMHO is thus somewhat pointless, particularly in view of BB's comment above.

Recall an earlier version of the vBulletin powered forum indicated the rating out of the number of votes but that "feature" has long gone.

Technoman

Of course the search will be mainly based on other criterias. Using the rating would be a plus... if it is seriously rated.
Each search is giving so many responses as the total number of posts is high.

nick12ab

Doesn't seem worthwhile since most posts don't get rated at all and some threads get rated 5 stars by their original posters as well.

If you look at posts in the Active PICAXE Forum sorted by reply count or sorted by view count you can see that many of the threads on the first page in both cases (and these threads are the most popular ones) aren't rated at all. It's even worse for User Projects - Miscellaneous where only eight of the top 20 threads (by post count) are rated and all of them have been rated 5 stars.

The Most Popular list of blogs is based on star ratings and the two threads on that list combined have less views than one of my blog entries on its own!

Recall an earlier version of the vBulletin powered forum indicated the rating out of the number of votes but that "feature" has long gone.
Not 100% sure what you mean by that but if you click Rate This Thread at the top of the page and mouse over the current rating a tooltip will appear showing the number of votes and the average vote.

westaust55

Recollection is that an earlier version of vBulletin gave the stats on number of votes by moving the mouse cursor over the stars on the Active Forum pages without needing to open a thread.

Edit: When using an iPhone and Safari one can rate a thread, but seemingly cannot see the current stats showing how many have voted/rated the thread.

Last edited:

Dippy

There should be an extra 'flag' next to the stars marked "ADHD" - this gets triggered when people rate their own threads :)