Speech Synthesizer SPE030- Download problem

PatMac

I have downloaded the SP03 software version 7,speech module- Loader/Configurator /Tester,on to my computer desktop. I have attempted to type in various predefined messages into the SPE030 module without success. When I initially turn the module on it says "Thanks for purchasing the SP03". I am using the AXE027 usd download cable but it says "Unable to communicate with speech module!" when I select the "Test" or "Set" button. I have it set on 9600 on com 4 for my Programming Editor.
Do I download directly from the SP03 icon on my desktop or should it be via Programming Editor? What am I doing wrong.

Andrew Cowan

Use the SP03 program.

I had this problem, then I realized it is picky about COM ports. It didn't work for me when it was on COM4 - I think it needs either COM 1 or COM 2.

Let us know if this helps. (Remember, you have to use device manager to tell the computer which COM port to put the download cable on).

A

westaust55

Speech Synthesizer SPE030

http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/htm/Sp03doc.shtml

When you run the program for the first time, you should select the communications port you will be using, either COM1 or COM2.

RS232 Communications
To use the RS232 serial port to control the SP03, just three connections to the PC (or other host) and a 5v power supply is required - Ground, Rx, Tx and 5Volts. The modules RS232 Rx pin should be connected to the PC's Tx line (pin 3 on the DB9 socket). The SP03 RS232 Tx pin should be connect to the PC's Rx line (pin 2 on the DB9 socket). The SP03 Ground line is connected to pin 5 on the DB9 socket. The 5volt supply is not shown in the photo below.

The AXE027 cable is not an RS232 system.

EDIT: Seems that Robot Electronics are no longer manufacturing the SPE03. From their website:
This product is now obsolete.

It remains here only to provide a link to the full Technical Data

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The AXE027 will work fine, but make sure it is on COM1 or COM2 as already suggested. The AXE027 datasheet explains how to do that.

The Winbond chip used on this module has been discontinued by the manufacturer, so when sources of the chip dry up then the module will no longer be available. However we have plenty of stock at present.