Sourcing parts?

bfgstew

Can anyone point me in the right direction for PCB mounted thumbwheel pots?
I have found one site but it only sells 10K ones I need some 500R, 4k7 ,47K and maybe a few other sizes.
I was toying with the idea of modding some little skeleton pots I have but they seem a tad fragile, has anyone any ideas please?

Stewart

Electlen

Hi Stewart
A link to your 10K part would have identified what you are looking for, based on what I think a Thumbwheel Potentiometer looks like I have made a quick search. Have a look at Mouser.com, it should open up as uk.mouser.com which is the UK Office for an American Company. The Office is in High Wycombe, Bucks. Search for Mouser Part No. 311-1202F*, they have 5K,10K,50K,100K and 500K. Hope it is the correct style of potentiometer,

Len

Brian M

Stew

Have a look at these. The thumbwheel is a separate entity from the pots, and looking at it, I think it could be used on many similar type pots in addition to those shown.
CPC also now do free delivery and no handling costs.
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/module.jsp?moduleId=cpc/524387.xml
http://cpc.farnell.com/te-connectivity-citec/cp105908/thumbwheel-18mm-black/dp/RE04252?Ntt=thumbwheel+potentiometer.

Hope this helps

TIP: I would also check the pots by the individual CPC part number before submitting an order.

Last edited:

Dippy

And similar at Farnell:
http://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivity-citec/5904620121/wheel-edge-for-pot/dp/748330
with example
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=204275+2031&Ntk=gensearch&Ntt=51+Series&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial

I guess other suppliers will have similar, try them...
Search on "edge" as well as "thumbwheel" - sometimes you have to think laterally with suppliers.
Always try the Big Boys first to see what is around. The chances are that if something is made by a BIG manufacturer that many suppliers/retailers will stock it.
Good luck.

Brian M

CPC and Farnell are one in the same except that Farnell (the parent company) usually stock the better spec (more expensive choices) and usually to registered businesses, whereas CPC.Farnell.com tend to sell the cheaper end products, although they also stock some of the higher spec products. A CPC catalogue, sent to you at no charge, will give you hours and hours of bedtime reading.

bfgstew

Many thanks guys for your input. I will keep looking but in the meantime I shall see if I can add a thumbwheel to some little skeleton presets I have.

John West

I'm happy to offer suggestions on parts procurement, but since this is a world-wide forum, I don't feel like I can reasonably respond to those who don't include specific info on where in the world they are. I suspect that's the reason Rev. Ed. included the "Location:" line in the poster ID section.

JimPerry

I'm happy to offer suggestions on parts procurement, but since this is a world-wide forum, I don't feel like I can reasonably respond to those who don't include specific info on where in the world they are. I suspect that's the reason Rev. Ed. included the "Location:" line in the poster ID section.
I agree - but most UK members know that Sherwood Forest is in Nottingham, UK. ;)

And I'm as close to Scotland as you can get in England :cool:

I hate captions that say London, England - below a picture of Big Ben etc.

bfgstew

I am sorry if I sound offencive, but seriously guys, does it REALLY matter where someone lives!

I asked a simple question about a source for thumbwheel potentiometers, and I get a miriad of complaints that forum members can't provide further information due to lack of geographical exactness, in todays global economy, do multi-nationals worry about exporting to customers on the otherside of the world? No, they export, people import. OK, if you did provide a supplier for said items and it was from the US, postage costs 20 X more than the item required, that would be up to me to decide if I wanted to pay the extra shipping costs, but, it also provides other members a vital source for items in the future........................:confused:
To coin an annoying US phrase JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ.
Don't worry or bother, I shall find them myself

PS, thank you to those that DID, go out of their way to provide links and info, much appreciated as always for your effort and time.

Paix

I think that location is significant. For anything costing a reasonable amount, Sparkfun in the US wouldn't be a first choice for me, because of the level of postal charges, customs duty etc., for example.

Also it may be help to know if someone is taking a stance due to undeclared language or cultural factors that muddle the thinking.

It's nothing to get really excited about and I'm sure that Google Maps/Earth knows where you live Stewart and is watching for you taking venison for your table too . . . had a lovely bit for Christmas, and the next three days . . . Happy New year! :)

JimPerry

It's nothing to get really excited about and I'm sure that Google Maps/Earth knows where you live Stewart and is watching for you taking venison for your table too . . . had a lovely bit for Christmas, and the next three days . . . Happy New year! :)
Funny -- I made 2 large Venison Pies for Xmas - made a pastry deer face on each .. wife objected to me calling them Rudolf and Dancer in front of the grandkids :confused:

SAborn

I have been to Sherwood Forest, or whats left of it, so i just expected the actuall location was "Sherwood Forest" in the UK, surely everyone knows what country Sherwood Forest is in. (think Robbin Hood)

Back to the thumb wheels, didnt a kind member in the UK some weeks back offered free 3D printing to forum members, well a simple thumb wheel to fit a standard pot or trimpot would be a good project for 3D printing i would think. :rolleyes:

Brian M

Could relate a story of an American who was telling me that her ancestors came from England, to which she further added that she thought England was somewhere near London !

Must also admit that I have seen a few posts where a city was mentioned, but no country clue. I like to associate a name with a location, makes you aware that your assistance might not be practical when postage is taken into account.

To be honest, I don't think anyone could better the CPC link I gave which will give a pack of 5 thumbwheels for 90 pence including VAT and the postage is FREE.

Dippy

I guess location is useful sometimes. I had assumed BFG (Big Friendly Giant) Stewart was in UK from the Sherwood Forest , UK location.
And, until now, I had avoided the image of him swinging through trees wearing red tights waving a bow and arrow !

Are there standard drawing package templates for this kind of thumbwheel? If not maybe SABborn will volunteer to spend half a day drawing a "simple" thumbwheel in a format that will work in a 3D printer :) That's very kind.

JimPerry

I guess location is useful sometimes. I had assumed BFG (Big Friendly Giant) Stewart was in UK from the Sherwood Forest , UK location.
And, until now, I had avoided the image of him swinging through trees wearing red tights waving a bow and arrow !
Image confusion alert -- Robin Hood had GREEN tights - Robin (as in Batman) had Pink/No tights - and Tarzan swung in the trees -- maybe a Picaxe Pedant forum should be founded (ala Private Eye)? :confused:

Dippy

Fact confusion alert --- :)

Not sure about that Jim.
Robin Hood was usually pictured in red/scarlet tights in early drawings.
This was also said on QI and Stephen Fry knows everything about men in tights!
Nobody knows.....

JimPerry

Fact confusion alert --- :)

Not sure about that Jim.
Robin Hood was usually pictured in red/scarlet tights in early drawings.
This was also said on QI and Stephen Fry knows everything about men in tights!
Nobody knows.....
Stephen Fry is definitely a gentleman - but I tremble at the thought of bowing before him :rolleyes:

bfgstew

@Brian M those ones from CPC are cheap but only have a life of 500 turns! The RS ones I did find earlier this afternoon and am going for those ones, thanks.

As for Google Earth spying on me in my RED (well, not quite red according to local legend and folklore) tights and pilfering the Sheriff's Deers, I am going to build a Picaxe based satelitte image blocker to cover my tracks in future.................:p

Paix

I guess that if a component is described as a trimmer, then it is likely to have a low adjustment life rating by definition, rather than a user control which would be expected to be rated more generously, alas with a higher price.

This link seems to show a disparity of quality and price, with an apparent correlation at the bottom end of the spectrum . . .

I look forward to details of an image blocker, currently using dark coloured felt tips, but don't know if it's the tight images, the Sherrff's old dear, the arrows or just the quiver that worry me most. :)

bfgstew

Now that is a ridiculous suggestion, it could never work, PICAXEs are not space hardened parts .....................
And what would you know about something as complex as that...............................:rolleyes:

If he had an umbrella-sized PCB with a PICAXE on it he could hide underneath.
An umbrella sized Picaxe would be better.............:cool: