SoundGin SSG01 Sound Coprocessor

Biddy

I have just recieved my first SoundGin chip to produce complex musical sounds / music synthesis / voice effects for a cool musical project I am working on.

http://oopic.com/soundgin/

I have read the manual, and have the codes for the serial commands and am really excited as I want get some great speech and sound effects from it.

However, I am really stuck with the Picaxe code. I would like to SEROUT a data string containing note and sfx data for starters to make a cool choon, however I am struggling to find example Picaxe code to do this and I am wondering if anyone has had any luck with this sound generator.

Please help me! (",)

Dippy

Quite an impressive chip.
Quite a task for a novice.

Haven't you read the PICAXE Basic Commands data sheet to see the Serout format/syntax?

Tell us the bytes you require to output and someone can then put Serout in front of it :)

I haven't trawled thru Soundgin data sheet (that's your job in your time) to see if there are any compilcations.

Steve Widmark

I've built a picaxe 28X1 based soundgin synth and I've got it to make sounds. Here's a "Hello World" program (pin 7 is serial out and I'm using a 16 mhz resonater)

high 7
setfreq em16
serout 7, T9600_16,(212, 206, 221, 228)
pause 1000
serout 7, T9600_16,(246, 232, 235, 221, 202)

Be sure to connect pin 12 (baud) on soundgin to high through a resistor. Hope this helps,
Steve

boriz

Read the manual(s) then experiment. Experiment. Experiment. Experiment. You can be the Picaxe-SoundGin guru. I’ve never tried it, but I’d definitely be interested in your results. You will post your results, yes?

AndyGadget

Are these things still available? Both suppliers listed appear constantly out of stock and neither have replied to e-mails. I want to have a play with one of these!

Andy.

I've built a picaxe 28X1 based soundgin synth and I've got it to make sounds. Here's a "Hello World" program (pin 7 is serial out and I'm using a 16 mhz resonater)

high 7
setfreq em16
serout 7, T9600_16,(212, 206, 221, 228)
pause 1000
serout 7, T9600_16,(246, 232, 235, 221, 202)

Be sure to connect pin 12 (baud) on soundgin to high through a resistor. Hope this helps,
Steve
Thanks for sharing.
Could you post the schematic and tell us the source of "212,206,221,228"

Steve Widmark

I posted some pics of my picaxe controlled soundgin synth at the soundgin users group at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Soundgin/photos/album/500844271/pic/list

I normally go from idea directly to PCB layout and skip the schematic step so I don't have one of these for my synth. It's not hard to figure it out though. The data sheet (available at http://si.fileburst.com/SoundginDatasheet.pdf) has a schematic on page 40. The only I/O line I use is RX which I connected to pin 7 on the 28X1. There is one omission on the schematic. You should put .01 uF caps across the power pins of both the soundgin and the 386 amp to filter out any spurious crud. I had problems getting a usable sound out of the chip until I did this.

I believe you can still get the chips. Here's one place in the States that sells them: http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R288-SOUNDGIN-IC.html

The manual will tell you what the serial codes mean. Basically, a serial command that starts with 27 will create or modify a sound. A serial command not preceded by 27 sends a speech allophone. The example I gave in my previous post sends a series of allophones that together say "hello world."

The soundgin users group mostly died through lack of interest. I think people were frustrated by sucky documentation and lack of support from the manufacturer. I think this chip really has some potential, particularly when mated to the picaxe. Maybe we can start some sort of revival here of soundgin users.

SolidWorksMagi

I have just recieved my first SoundGin chip to produce complex musical sounds / music synthesis / voice effects for a cool musical project I am working on.

http://oopic.com/soundgin/

I have read the manual, and have the codes for the serial commands and am really excited as I want get some great speech and sound effects from it.

However, I am really stuck with the Picaxe code. I would like to SEROUT a data string containing note and sfx data for starters to make a cool choon, however I am struggling to find example Picaxe code to do this and I am wondering if anyone has had any luck with this sound generator.

Please help me! (",)
Hi,

Can you share more info about the Soundgin / BabbleBot chip? Got a schematic for the PIC to Soundgin chip? Want to sell your PIC to Soundgin?

wperko @he brainless dot org-anizm

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Unfortunately it appears the company which manufactured the SoundGin chip went out of business and the chip is no longer produced.

There may be eBay sellers and others who have chips to sell and there appears to be datasheets and other documentation found by Googling but it's probably not a good choice other than for a one-off project.

SolidWorksMagi

Unfortunately it appears the company which manufactured the SoundGin chip went out of business and the chip is no longer produced.

There may be eBay sellers and others who have chips to sell and there appears to be datasheets and other documentation found by Googling but it's probably not a good choice other than for a one-off project.
Hi,

He shut down speechchips.com thinking everybody moved onto .mp3 players, but he still sells the chips (Soundgin and SpeakJet) and arduino shields for several other chips on eBay.com.

My problem is I am making one of his older RS-232 to chip designs to connect from my vintage Altair 8800 so it can talk and sing, but I also want to add the chips to my PICAXE projects too.

I have not found anything about making the Soundgin CTS to PICAXE "INPUT" connection or how it should be used.

I live in the world of BASIC ... PICAXE BASIC and CP/M with MBASIC.

Sadly, Scott Savage support is close to nil, but he said he will be working on developing new speechchips.com webpages.

SolidWorksMagi

Hi,

I forgot to mention that I have access to thousands of the SpeakJet and Soundgin chips that I can sell for the original price of $25ea. + shipping.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I have not found anything about making the Soundgin CTS to PICAXE "INPUT" connection or how it should be used.
I think you could ignore that or simply take it to a PICAXE Digital Input pin. It's simply saying 'you can send me serial data' - Clear To Send.

I found a full datasheet at - http://d1.amobbs.com/bbs_upload782111/files_35/ourdev_608197JPFCZM.pdf

That inlcudes a circuit diagram for how to wire to a PICmicro and it should be pretty much the same for PICAXE. Serial Out to RX (10), RESET (11) to 5V via 1K should be all you need to start with.

SolidWorksMagi

I think you could ignore that or simply take it to a PICAXE Digital Input pin. It's simply saying 'you can send me serial data' - Clear To Send.

I found a full datasheet at - http://d1.amobbs.com/bbs_upload782111/files_35/ourdev_608197JPFCZM.pdf

That inlcudes a circuit diagram for how to wire to a PICmicro and it should be pretty much the same for PICAXE. Serial Out to RX (10), RESET (11) to 5V via 1K should be all you need to start with.
Hi,

Yeah, I found that I had that datasheet in my BabbleBot folder ... I never knew that the Soundgin and the BabbleBot were the same chip. I've been using the SpeakJet chips with all my robot projects designed right onto the RoboGuts™ circuit board.

With a project talking about each routine in the program, it helps tweaking the software for the project, such as the ZUMO

Yesterday I did a sketch-up of the RS-232 to Soundgin chip from the datasheet schematic and another version for the SpeakJet chip in the old FREE EagleCAD. I wish it was easy to just import the .JPG of the board image and get Gerber files of the board.

I use my RoboGuts™ circuit boards in all my projects almost exclusively with the PICAXE 28X2 modules, but as the PICAXE 28X2 modules have become rarer here in the USA and most of the time I don't use all the PINS on the PICAXE 28X2 modules anyway, I've switched to the PICAXE 20M2 and 20X2 chips.