sound effects output

pme720

I found the answer to similar inquiries in the archives, so if I missed exactly what I need, simply point where to go, with my apologies.

I want to output sound effects (mp3? .wav?) of some complexity based on certain input criteria. I have about 5 sound effects totalling 15-20s total. Size matters, I only have about 30mm width to work with. The mp3 player 'module' is way more than I need and the 20s sound recorder/playback is too big.

Is there an all-in-one sound 'module' similar to the 20s playback you offer, only smaller?

Or, ideally, I'd like some recommendations on the parts I would need to build my own (though I am a total novice).

Could I use the 18X I2C capability with an eeprom or 2 to store my sound files, and an IC to output the data as sound to an amp to a speaker? Do I even need I2C capability to do this?

Thanks.

Fowkc

There are various dedicated ICs that will do this, and these are probably your best option given limited space (but you will need space for a speaker, and a microphone socket if you want to record to the chip in-situ).

Look up the ISD2532P, ISD2560P and ISD1416P. They can all be interfaced with a PICAXE to provide control easily enough.

Edited by - Fowkc on 17/05/2006 06:54:13

Michael 2727

The 08M chips play nice mono ringtones.
There's over 700 to choose from on the Software CD.
Or using the Tune Wizard in the Program Editor
Software you can import or make your own.

Fowkc

Step through the datasheets carefully. I've never used them myself, but there are a few tutorials on the 'net. Looks like a case of hooking up the control lines and letting rip. Let us know how you get on.