sonar troubles

Bloody-orc

i have a ultra sonic module. srf 05 it is (the new one).

Anyway i think it isn't working. i have it connected to 18X. but all it gives is 530 into debug. soft is copy paste from Datasheet. pins are correct and power is ok. (with caps and everything.

i have done some drilling to the board (had to make a new hole in one corner to connect that thing to my servo. and it might have suffered some vibrating problems. what can be damaged? pic on it seems ok. so does the circuit. maybe the US transmitter and receiver?

Dippy

I assume its not a 3" hole you've drilled?

Code example on (my) data sheet is for a Stamp which switches I/O.
Assuming power is OK, are you using separate trigger/return connections to 18X and leaving 'mode' pin unconnected?

Bloody-orc

it is all connected as should and as stated in the datasheet (this is not my firs time to use this US module. i have had it for a year now). The hole was the same size as the 2 predrilled in the company and drilled in places that are left for that operation (there are markings where to trill if you have seen the model).

Dippy

Ah.
I only mentioned the code as (assuming your Data Sheet was same as mine) then Stamp code example wouldn't work with 18X obv.

Yes, I have used several 05s. Had no probs. Perfect performance.

If all connected and coded correctly and still don't work then, sorry, can't suggest anything other than the obvious.

Have you got a 'scope to look at returned 05 pulse? Or a sig.gen/func.gen to check your pulsin?

(My comment about a 3" hole was, in fact, a little joke.)

Edited by - Dippy on 09/11/2006 18:33:39

Bloody-orc

my US module is bought from picaxe. and I'm using they're datasheet (both soft and connection have worked before).
I'm thinking what could be broken on the board?
1) there are micro cracks on tracks
2) micro cracks on SMD parts (resistors & caps etc)
3) loose soldering of those parts
4) broken transmitter
5) broken receiver (the crystals inside)

Dippy

Oh, cross purposes, I had the Devantech datasheet...

Well, I guess it depends on your handling when drilling. Caveman or brain-surgeon? Hand-drilled on a block of wood with a cordless drill? I reckon you'd have to be unlucky or clumsy to fracture anything.

Do you have any test equipment such as a scope to check the return pulse? Or a good magnifying glass? Any tiny metal swarf gone where it shouldna? Got an Air Duster?

Edited by - Dippy on 09/11/2006 19:54:02

Bloody-orc

I'll start looking at it firs thing tomorrow (before the opera show at least). When I drilled it it was closed to the machine with clamps. drill spinning very fast and pressed down 0.2mm per second (so quire slow don't you think ;) ) i still suspect the vibration damage (I did saw a bit the corner piece connecting my servo to the US module when the module was screwed tight to it :$ ).

Dippy

I have one in my sweaty puddies now. It looks like standard d/s FR4.

There's a cap (I think) and track near one of the 'blank' corner holes (i.e. a non-hole that is marked and is masked off from s/resist). Is that track and component all still intact?

The opposite corner hole drilled just goes though ground plane - which shouldn't be a problem assuming you were only using a 3mm drill or less.

If all your test connections and code were OK, it sounds like you've muggered it. Time to dig out the microscope. And possibly your wallet.

We could all go on guessing all day. Track crack, damaged component or pad etc. Its down to you now Doctor!

You never mentioned whether you have test equipment to see how/if it responds to a pulsin.

And, no, I'm not going to drill mine to see what happens.

Bloody-orc

pulsin works (led pulses). when i mess with my fingers on the opamp resistors and caps i manage to get other readings also (54 and 48 etc) so the pic should be ok. I'm just thinking that the problem is on the top side of the board (the transponders). got to go and check it out... (sadly i don't have a scope to test the pulseout signal. my multimeter shows constant 0 (probably to small of a pulse to detect).

Dippy

I was going to suggest a transistor+LED to test pulse output, but 05 does a pulse even if no signal is detected for obv reasons.

Shame about no scope; you could have tested a) Pulsout length [if any], b) U/S Tx pulse c) U/S Rx blip.

Now you know what to ask Santa for Christmas. Plus a spare 05? I see Tektronix prices have come down...

Good luck.