Something every robot builder needs to know - how to assemble things the right way

I see it all the time - robotic students go into infinite loops turning nuts this way or that or strip the threads on every project presented to them. This kid finally reveals the secret to screwing in not only a light bulb but bolts, etc. I know some adults who could use this, too.

MartinM57

Yes, I'm of that age too - the mantra

thuMb - Motion
First finger - Field
seCond fnger - Current

"Right hand rule for dynamos, left hand rule for motors" featured strongly in my early academic years

...or is it the other way round? I'm of that age now :(

IronJungle

I didn't watch the 5+ minute how to video as the title summed it up, but...

I think it is interesting how mechanical things like values (water faucet) turn right for less flow and electrical things (volume control) turn left for less flow.

Even more amazing to me is that people do this instinctively ever day without realizing there is a diference. And when you think about it, you can even get screwed up on which is which.

bfgstew

Never needed a 'rule' , a robot or a smart kid to tell me how or when a nut or bolt was tightened correctly. 3000lb/ft torque wrench setting, sleeves rolled up and plenty of brute force, can't beat it or better it, like to see a robot do that in the main crankcase of a ships diesel engine, and that smart kid!!!!

Paix

Yes, I can see that he is going to be a real wow with his pals. Billy no-mates. That said, he will probably turn out to be a very rich consultant being highly paid by corporations to come along and state the obvious.

Yes, I'm of that age too - the mantra

thuMb - Motion
First finger - Field
seCond fnger - Current...
I've never heard that one before. I like it! Maybe that's one students (and I) can finally remember. Thanks!

Aide memoire from a professional mechanic - "Righty tighty, lefty loosey"
I used to have a job supervising some heavy-lifting brutes whose job was to screw together large pieces of pipe. They could never seem to benefit from "Righty tighty, lefty loosey" I think because they were sometimes above the pipe, below the pipe, leaning sideways to it, etc. and so they complained they couldn't figure out which way was "to the right" under those conditions. So I tried to teach them about the right hand rule, and the results were only a little better. It amazes me, however, how incredibly dense some people are.

AndyGadget

"Right hand rule for dynamos, left hand rule for motors" featured strongly in my early academic years

...or is it the other way round? I'm of that age now :(

Easy to remember for the British, Aussies and Kiwis around here - Motors drive on the Left!

premelec

I'll have to admit I didn't watch much of the video :) I'm mostly an empiricist - if it's smoking and doesn't smell like food you've got too much power input to whatever it is. And being a bicyclist I know the left pedal is a left hand thread... however occasional other left hand threads are encountered and then if it doesn't work one way - try the other. It's nice there are only two ways :) Watch out for three pole magnets with ambihelical hex nuts - they are galling!

boriz

When locating a bolt or some such into a nut, I always turn CCW a little to locate the tread before going CW, to help avoid cross threading. Is it just me?

premelec

Nope... and I ccw plastic or sheet metal self tap screws when re-inserting them till I get a little blip and then try cw again - works better with some threads than others... in soft materials it certainly gives a longer life for re-fastening without making a bigger hole...

... Is it just me?
You're in good company on that one. It's an excellent practice. These are such simple tips and yet I'm often shocked at how hard it is to get adults to apply them to their work. How many broken bolts have I had to fish out because somebody torqued the things the wrong way! :eek:

papaof2

Not knowing "how much" seems to affect novices in all areas. Saw someone complaining that the Tapcon masonry fasteners he was trying to use just stripped out of the holes drilled for them. I have several cabinets that have been hanging from Tapcon screws into the concrete block walls in the basement for several years.

1. The hole must be deeper than the length of the screw.
2. Only turn the screw snug - by hand and only one hand on the driver.

Or use the ultimate tool - a torque wrench ;-)

John

JimPerry

Health and safety be damned - the kid doesn't tell you to make sure the power is OFF and then proceeds to stick his right thumb into the bulb socket :mad:

Health and safety be damned - the kid doesn't tell you to make sure the power is OFF and then proceeds to stick his right thumb into the bulb socket :mad:
Yes, I noticed that, too. These kids today are just reckless maniacs! In this other video, the kid nearly drills a hole in his nose. :eek:

bfgstew

A 'how not to use a hacksaw correctly' and a 'how not to use a screwdriver correctly' video!

Parents need educating, letting kids do stuff like this! Start 'em young with the correct techniques you will have no problems!

boriz

Unlike most current young students, I had the advantage of studying Engineering in an Engineering class, in an Engineering department full of great Engineering machines (Lathes, Shapers, Drill presses, Grinders etc..) with an Engineering teacher who, before becoming a teacher was a professional Engineer and really knew his stuff.

We also had a separate and equally well equipped woodworking department and technical drawing studios.

England used to lead the world in Engineering. Look at us now.

bfgstew

I did my apprenticeship here and worked there for a further 20 years, superb quality and craftsmanship, sadly gone now!!!

eclectic

Three fingers, first finger, then thumb.

Hmmm?

Are there any current D un T teachers
who can give us a current update on
modern "Craft" studies.

e

Also depressed at the demise of
"proper" metal-bashing.

Blazemaguire

As a current D un T teacher.

I use "lefty losey, righty tighty" - works for most. - My biggest problem is them knowing which end of the screwdriver to hold. Seriously!

Kid's lack the co-ordination to move 3 fingers at once, so the hand rule is never going to work.

Have you looked at the new 'ebac' Eclectic. - No provision for D&T at all - Real shame. - I'm seriously worried about what it's going to do to uptake in electronics and engineering GCSE and A-Level given the commitment needed to get the ebac in the 5 enforced core subjects (english,maths,science,language,history,geography)

Strange, while with the same breath the government is saying they need more engineers, designers and u.k manufacturing! - Good job my coding is improving -looks like I may end up needing a new profession soon.

Parents need educating, letting kids do stuff like this! Start 'em young with the correct techniques you will have no problems!
But isn't that why video/computer games were invented: to relieve everyone, especially parents, of that tiresome burden? :)

Last edited:

bfgstew

If it's tiresome, then shouldn't have kids!
I delight in teaching my lad the correct way of doing things, especially in using hand tools.
I did my apprenticeship when H & S was in its infancy, we used common sense, skill and utmost respect for the tool that was being used, wether it was a small hand file or a 40' long lathe, plus the fact we were shown the most horrendous videos, showing the reprecussions of not doing things correctly and safely.
I still see it today, young lads come in to the business, straight from college, thinking they know it all, and to be truthful, they haven't a clue, accidents waiting to happen!

papaof2

A 'how not to use a hacksaw correctly' and a 'how not to use a screwdriver correctly' video!

Started my grandkids off with kid-size hand tools and birdhouse kits when they were 5 and 8. At least they've had a little instruction...

boriz

Someone once said "Get 'em young enough, and you'll have them for ever". It's true.

Unfortunately, this power (Possibly the greatest power in human history), has been mostly exploited for tribal conflict.

In a way, the dark ages never ended. :(

IronJungle

Started my grandkids off with kid-size hand tools and birdhouse kits when they were 5 and 8. At least they've had a little instruction...
My dad gave me an old (I mean old) analog voltmeter and a hand crank generator when I was seven. Lots of shocking of friends, sisters, etc followed.
I guess I figured if electricity could cause pain then it could also be fun....