Someone able to program a picaxe in Reigate (London)?

RSanger

I have shipped a device to Reigate from California. It was $$$!! and I think I may need to reprogram the picaxe inside of it. Is there anyone who could do this for me for a consultation fee? You would need to remove 3 screws in a wooden box to access the program port. You'd need a standard cable plus a special adapter, which I could send you or describe. Thanks!

erco

Hope you find someone, odds are good since Picaxe is UK-based.

Without fail, code improvements and changes are imagined or requested right after shipping. :)

BTW when I ship projects, I usually include a programming adapter, a cheap CP2102 + inverter + cable per Goeytex's mod (I make those ten at a time for classes & projects). A few times I have talked non-tech people through reprogramming over the phone after emailing them new code. Works great and well worth the bit of extra time.

RSanger

that is interesting! what is the "inverter" and what is "Goeytex's mod" do your people have to install the picaxe programming interface to do this? is there anyway to "compile" the code so it can be downloaded to the chip via some sort of "programming" interface (to protect my code)?

nick12ab

that is interesting! what is the "inverter" and what is "Goeytex's mod" do your people have to install the picaxe programming interface to do this? is there anyway to "compile" the code so it can be downloaded to the chip via some sort of "programming" interface (to protect my code)?
Yes, export an .axe file from PE6 and use the PICAXE Programmer App to program the PICAXE.

RSanger

Any way to "compile" picaxe code?

I'd like to be able to have clients download software updates without them having to install the picaxe programming interface, and also to protect my code. Anyone know of a way to do this?

westaust55

I have merged your two threads with the same question (post4 here and post 7 above from other thread)
To avoid having 2 streams of comments and answers getting out of synch.

It is not good policy to ask the same question in multiple threads on the same forum.

premelec

If you really want to keep your code secret you'd best mail another chip with it installed - so many people have asked how to recover code from a chip- No Way! If it's not socketed or is surface mount... too bad...

westaust55

You do not mention which PICAXE chips is involved.

If it is an X2 part, then for your future projects an options is to provide a socket for an EEPROM and a pushbutton to enable a transfer of the program contents using the BOOTi2c command.
Ref: http://www.picaxe.com/BASIC-Commands/Advanced-PICAXE-Configuration/booti2c/
Then you can send an EEPROM with the new version of the program and the end user need only insert the EEPROM and (for example) power up with the added switch pressed.

Buzby

... the end user need only insert the EEPROM and (for example) power up with the added switch pressed.
You don't even need the switch.

The booti2c command only executes if the revision number of the new code is greater than that of the existing code.

RSanger

exactly what I need!!! but can't figure out how to "Export an .axe file"! I have latest PE6 and "save as" doesn't list this as option. Programming an X2 and M2