Small School Digital Thermometer

BenjaD

I am making a small Digital thermometer project. I am using the DS18B20 chip.

I want to display it on one seven segment display, with the decimal point for the first digit.

I'm not sure how i am able to manipulate the incoming data from 'readtemp' to split it into seperate digits, to output (e.g. bintoascii...).

Thanks, Benja

manuka

I may have dreamed it up, but more Forum brain power than mine eventually went into this! It certainly works a treat & may perhaps be a classic 20M circuit. Use the final form shown at my resource site -

Program download at => www.picaxe.orconhosting.net.nz/20m7segds.bas
Schematic download => www.picaxe.orconhosting.net.nz/20m7segds.gif
Breadboard layout => www.picaxe.orconhosting.net.nz/20m7segds.jpg

Extra: For a real skinflint approach consider just a suitably flashed LED! Hence 23°C would give 2 flashes/pause/3 flashes. You'd have to dream up clever zeros of course- perhaps a L O N G flash? (I did something similar with so called "Swan Code" for temps as audible tones on UHF CB sets). Different colours may tempt too - green for tens, red for units etc.

As today's bright LEDs are visible (espec. at night) from a long way off,extended range visual temp. insights are possible-perhaps via binoculars? Here in clean air NZ I can easily see (unaided) traffic light changes 10km away across Wellington harbour in fact! You could have a setup on your garden shed home brew/ backyard nuclear reactor/ dog kennel/ compost heap/rooftop solar water heater/glasshouse down in the valley etc & just "eye-ball" the winking LED(s) for thermal insights.

Last edited:

Dippy

Gosh that IS skinflint!! You'll be suggesting morse next Stan.

And, of course, it may bring on a fit above 56 degrees.

I'm sure any Skinflintitis can be satisfied by saving 3p at Ebay.

marcos.placona

It certainly works a treat & may perhaps be a classic 20M circuit

Stan's circuits become classics almost all the time.

just a bit of a brain test here:

Q: When you think of breadboard, what comes up to mind in first instance?

a) The traditional one;
b) Stan's 08M circuit;
c) The not so traditional one;

If you answered B, you're part of my team :D

With no time, I got to the point where when talking about 20M circuits, I'd firstly think of the one mentioned by me earlier.