Slow pic8?

stryqer

I got a picaxe 8, I am running 2 output pins to alternating pulsing Leds
Off each output pin I have one 2n2222.
One side is going to 10, 3.3volt leds and the other side is going to 6, 2.0v leds.
the 2.0v leds resistors are 39ohm on 2 parallel
the 3.3v leds resistors are 68 ohm to each led

When I power it up it flashes slowly one output for about 6 times then everything fires up and runs the way it should. Its like the chip is gathering power but that does not make sense.

I am NOT an electronics guru so be gentle on me if its something easy.

Peter M

Hi, would need to see some code, and a circuit diagram would be a good idea too.... Without these we would only be guessing (but I'll have a go at what I can from what you've got there so far)

I'm guessing that the 3.3v leds are white or blue LEDs, and the 2.0v LEDs are either green or red (hope with all those leds its not what I'm thinking, 'cause that is illeagal in some countries)
If you are powering from 5.0v you are trying to run the 3.3v LEDs at around 25mA ((5-3.3)/68) and the 2.0v LEDs at around 77mA / 2 ((5-2)/39/2) if the parrallel pair share ok this is around 38mA each.....
Are these normal LEDs? If so you may need to revise ohms law

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Sounds like the serial input pin is floating. Have a look at the minimum operating circuit in part 1 of the manual.

stryqer

Thanks for the replys. The 3.3 is white and the 2.0 is Orange
going into a model car.
Whats illegal? what countries

Sticky input pin? I have 2 chips doing same thing
does not do it on my exp board just my bread board

strange

thanks agaiin

inglewoodpete

Technical referred to a possible floating input pin.

The "SERIAL IN" pin of the PICAXE should be pulled low via the download circuit. There should be a 10K + 22k resistor between the Serial In leg and 0v AT ALL TIMES.

stryqer

THats it

The 22K and 10k pull down was the problem.
I thought these resistors were only needed to program the thing.
I programmed it on the exp board and transfered to the bread board with no resistors.

Runs MUCH faster now too

THanks alot