Simple Switch Box Trick

clockwork

This project is a very simple little trick box. It is designed really for children but it seems to work very well with adults as well.

The trick is just a small box with one or more switches on it plus an LED. When you press one of the switches the LED lights,
but when your subject (victim?) operates a switch nothing happens. It is as simple as that. You can tell everybody that it is
just like the remote control boxes you see in films where (usually) the villain pulls out a little box, presses a button, a light then lights up
and the bomb goes off.

I have posted the details here as I would be interested in what sort of improvements forum members can think of.

The box uses a 08M2 Picaxe, but any version will do providing it can use a touch plate. The code is minimal

output c.4
low c.4

main:
touch c.1,b0
if b0 > 60 then
high c.4
else
low c.4
endif

Thats it.

attached is the circuit, such as it is. Also a photo of the exterior and interior of the box.
Only one switch or push button is required, I fitted three because everything I used has
been previously used in older projects and was available in t he junk (spares) box.

The touch switch is a rectangle of metal tape stuck to the outside of the box and covered
in white insulation tape. I did try putting the touch sensor inside the box but the box wall itself
was too thick for the sensor to operate. As the trick only works if you are operating the touch
sensor when the trick is switched on I wanted to keep the area of the sensor as small as
possible. If the sensor is very large then there is more chance of the sensor being switched as
the power is switched on.

How good or bad this trick is really depends on your resentation or patter as magicians say.