Simple serial out issue to computer terminal

TheChief

Hi please excuse my basic question but I'm new to this.
I currently have 2 zigbee modules setup in AT mode and I have successfully got them to communicate via terminals eg. minicom

I am now trying to connect one of these modules directly to a 08m2 and send a piece of text along with a variable to my computer terminal.

I am able to transmit something from the picaxe but I am not seeing what I was hoping for in my console.

I think my problem is my basic understanding of how the serout command should work, I was expecting that the below line of code would produce something human readable in the computer terminal. instead all I seem to get is "80 80 F8 F8 80 80 F8" if I look at the hex output.

I am obviously missing out on some fundamental step or is it at all possible to do what I am attempting?

serout c.4, N2400, ("Temp is",w1)

Thanks!

nick12ab

Welcome to the PICAXE Forum.

Try:
serout c.4, N2400, ("Temp is ",#w1)

Also, are you using a USB-to-serial adaptor that inverts the signal?

TheChief

@nick12ab

Had a quick read through the relevant parts of that.
I can't see any wiring or code issue that stands out.

I'm wondering is it some protocol/encoding issue? physically my circuit is working and data of description is being transmitted and received.
What shows in the console can be altered by changing the output value of the serout command so it is for sure being transmitted electrically end to end.

TheChief

Of course I had not thought of that.
I probably need to configure both zigbee units to use 2400 as they are set to 9600 by default.

Will try this tomorrow. :D