Silly question about thread viewing on my PC

nick12ab

I get the same problem (i think) - if you're saying that if you log out then log in read posts return to unread state. So it's not just a problem with my browser.

You can double-click on the red subforum icon to mark posts as read but when someone else posts in one of those, the 'Read First Unread' button takes you to an earlier post you've already read.

westaust55

If you are trying to indicate that when you log in a second/subsequent occassion, threads that you have not previously read lose the bold font/highlight which indicated that they are unread.
If so, then that is normal as it was with the old forum.

I presume that the concept is that once you have logged in, you have had an opportunity to read all the currently new/unread posts/threads.
The forum (vBulletin software) logs when you have last logged in.

Thus, when you log in on a subsequent occassion "knows" when you last logged in and thus highlights only those threads with new posts since you last logged in.

nick12ab

Thus, when you log in on a subsequent occassion "knows" when you last logged in and thus highlights only those threads with new posts since you last logged in.
So it doesn't record when you log out? I would have thought that it records what you've read rather than if you logged in before or after each post.

westaust55

It aslo keeps track of which threads you have liked at since you logged in and when your last activity was which may not be when you logged out, and likely more in the cookies (cleared if you do force a log out).
But at the end of the day, if you exit and log back in only threads since exit/ last activity or some similar mileatone are presented bold to indicate new threads since last visit.

Last edited:

nick12ab

My Test with Results

• On Computer A, on which I wrote all my previous posts in this thread, i've got no unread posts
  • I log in on computer B without logging out on computer A. All posts since Hippy's post in pwmout vs pwmduty are marked unread
  • On Computer A, I refresh the page and the threads are still read
  • On Computer B, I refresh the page and the threads are still unread
  • I log out on computer A then log back in
  • On Computer B, I refresh the page and the threads are now marked as read
  • WestAust55 posts in thread 'the picaxe programming app' and I read it on Computer A
  • On Computer A, the thread is now marked as read
  • On Computer B, the thread is marked unread
  • On Computer A, I close the browser, re-open it, log in and the thread 'the picaxe programming app' is now marked unread
  • I view your post AGAIN, re-open the browser and it's marked unread again on Computer A. It is still marked unread on Computer B
  • ADDED: After posting this on Computer B, this thread becomes marked unread on COmputer A.
  • It seems like there was a less complicated way of handling the read posts

Last edited:

westaust55

The refresh option is disabled.Do you know where the icons are locally cached since I might be able to change it manually.
From another thread (quoted from above) you indicated you have your browser refresh disabled.
That could sway your tests.