Shop Log in difficulties

Brian M

I have been trying to log in to the "Shop", but as I hadn't been on since some changes were made, I followed the route of forgotten password as advised on the site. I the past 36 hours I have sent the emailed requests but have not had any response. Anyone else having difficulties ? I was going to put in an order and take advantage of the 15% discount code, but it looks as if I'll miss the boat.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The password response emails are sent out automatically, and are working. Please check your 'spam' folder.
If your email address has changed please simply create a new account.

Further more you can always check out as a 'guest' - you do not actually need to login at all to place an order.

Brian M

Thanks for the response.

Nothing in my spam or trash folders

My email address has not changed and when I logged in, initially I was told that my details were already in use. Buying as a guest, my final total was different from the total at checkout.

I had trouble locating some of the components, even using the Search facility, although I found them eventually with no help from the shop site.

In the end I have abandoned the purchase. Just lost patience, and it is not as if I am a novice at purchasing, something I have done for 40+ years in the electronics/electrical business.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
There is no price difference buying as a guest, although you will see the tax and shipping recalculated as the shipping address/method is specified.

Sorry for any problems, but we can see no fault on your login details, so have temporarily changed the password to your postcode - upper case and no spaces. Please see if you can now login using your email address and postcode as password - which you can change again after logging in.

Brian M

Technical

Thank you for your efforts. I have now logged in, changed my password and submitted a smaller order than I was initially going to place.

I am getting a message saying that my VAT number is not a valid GB VAT number. I've tried editing it without the GB prefix, with and without the spaces HMRC/Sage use on their returns, and still get the error message.

OK, I'll stop whinging and once again say thank you.

Well, it has been the number issued to me by HMRC in approximately 1992, and they don't seem to refuse to accept my VAT returns and payments using that number.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Thanks for the order.
VATCapture.PNG
You cannot zero rate VAT on a UK order, the VAT box is for EU orders only (EU registered business inside the EU but not in the UK).
Therefore no VAT number should be entered, as a UK VAT number will not pass the VIES online verification when the order is attempted to be zero rated (as that would be illegal).

srnet

I am getting a message saying that my VAT number is not a valid GB VAT number.

Well, it has been the number issued to me by HMRC in approximately 1992
Why would you want or need to supply your VAT number when buying stuff within the UK ?

Although in retrospect, why are we discussing issues with VAT numbers on the PICAXE Forum ?

Last edited:

Dippy

"Although in retrospect, why are we discussing issues with VAT numbers on the PICAXE Forum ? "
- well srnet, we seem to discuss a lot of non-PICAXE things on this Forum :)

If you look back at Post#1 you will see that Brian apparently had no response to his direct emails. Maybe he felt that a conversation via the Forum was his only alternative. And apparently the VAT question has caused a little confusion which has been explained quickly by Technical.
Possibly a bit web-software jiggery-pokery could remove the VAT number box for UK purchasers?

grim_reaper

Well, it has been the number issued to me by HMRC in approximately 1992, and they don't seem to refuse to accept my VAT returns and payments using that number.
When have you EVER heard of HMRC refusing to accept any kind of payment?!!? lol
They'll take anything you send them; and they'll refund if it necessary - two years later of course...