servo power supply

rob nash

hi,
I need some advice on a regulater for servo, am after powering a servo project from a mains adapter Ive tried a lm7805 ok with one may get away with 2, I've seen LM338T variable 5A is this a siutable regulater to power 7 servos i'd be greatful if someone could offer any advice.
thanks rob

MFB

You first need to be sure the mains adapter is able to provide sufficient current, without the voltage dropping to less than about 2.5V above your regulator output (e.g. 7.5V for an non-low drop regulator like the LM7805). This will be difficult for multiple servos because the total draw will depend on whether each is up and running or starting, and also their mechanical loading. It would be a good idea to conduct some tests using a big bench power supply with a current readout.

rob nash

hi
thanks mfb
You first need to be sure the mains adapter is able to provide sufficient current, without the voltage dropping to less than about 2.5V above your regulator output
I did'nt even think if the adapter in my hand could supply the 5A lol "what it is" is a 300mA3.6VA "failed before i began".
It would be a good idea to conduct some tests using a big bench power supply with a current readout
going to crack open the piggy bank.
thanks for the reply

srnet

hi,
I need some advice on a regulater for servo, am after powering a servo project from a mains adapter Ive tried a lm7805 ok with one may get away with 2, I've seen LM338T variable 5A is this a siutable regulater to power 7 servos i'd be greatful if someone could offer any advice.
thanks rob
Impossible to offer advice at this stage as it depends on the Servos and what load they are under, they vary a great deal.

So the servos are ?

erco

Servos can pull well over an amp each, depending on loading. If they all move at once, you could be looking at 10+ amps. That's gonna be hard on your PS and regulator. If your servos are intermittent use and it's a mains-powered project, you might consider using a small built-in batter (lead acid or NiMH) and constantly trickle charge it.

MPep

More current is not a problem when things are good.
What you need to be concerned about is what happens if something fails,??? 12A is a large amount of current that can flow into a short circuit!

A load (the servos) will only draw enough current required, at the supply voltage.