SerTXD stops?

tracecom

I have some code in which it seems that SerTXD stops (after several seconds) when Terminal is closed. Is that normal? If so, does that mean that Terminal signals back to the PICAXE with some sort of handshake while Terminal is running?

Thanks.

srnet

I have some code in which it seems that SerTXD stops (after several seconds) when Terminal is closed. Is that normal? If so, does that mean that Terminal signals back to the PICAXE with some sort of handshake while Terminal is running?

Thanks.
If the terminal screen is closed, how do you know that 'SerTXD stops' ?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
As far as I am aware Terminal just opens or closes the COM port and doesn't send anything when those happen. I haven't noticed any odd resets caused by opening or closing terminal. Closing then re-opening shows what would be expected if the PICAXE is simply printing incrementing numbers, Just some missing data, no restart from zero. I can't say I have noticed what you describe with either RS232 or AXE027.

tracecom

I am using an FT230X, and have it configured with an LED that flashes when data is being sent or received. While my code is running, I can see the LED flash in sync with the data being sent to Terminal. The code runs and the LED continues to flash as long as Terminal is open. Then, when I close Terminal and wait a few seconds (30 maybe), the LED stops flashing. When I reopen Terminal, the LED begins flashing again and continues as long as Terminal is open, or at least up to the hour or so that I have tested. That seems to indicate to me that Terminal is sending something akin to a CTS signal back to the circuit.

ETA: Now that I think more about it, I suppose it's the FT230X that stops sending when Terminal is closed, but I wonder why it waits 30 seconds or so.