SERIN help required

Hi

so ive recently spent a while playing aroud with a 20*4 OLED screen, so im fairly well practiced with the serout command but im having a little trouble getting the serin command to work with my prototyping gear, at the moment im using a 40X2 (with protoboard) and a 28X2 (and project board), (all my components are the ones available on the picaxe website). Both boards are running off a 4.5v power supply in parrallel
i have a single wire connecting the two boards going between my chosen input and output, the power cables, besides that, the only other wires on the boards are bridging wires that ground any unused inputs, (this posed an issue with the other project the 40X2 board is used for, the project i mentioned using the OLED screen, i had huge issues with static interference)
the codes im currently using are as follows:

40x2:
Code:
#PICAXE 40X2

main:
serin A.0,N2400,b0 ; assign data to variable
if b0 = 60 then      
high B.6               
wait 60              ;1 minute to get the multi meter onto output b.6 and see if the data was received
low b.6                       
end if
low b.6             ;

goto main
28X2 code:
Code:
#PICAXE 28X2

main:
high b.1                          ;test output to make sure the chip/board is funtional
serout B.3,N2400,(60) 
goto main
all i want to do is have the 40X2 respond to a serial output from the 28X2
any help would be appriciated
many thanks
Sean

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Is your 28X2 wire connected between the chips in the middle of the board (correct) not to the open collector buffered output on right (incorrect)?

not to the open collector buffered output on right (incorrect)?
hi
first off cheers for the reply
i am, im afraid, im still, fairly new to the picaxe scene, (hence why im here)
not sure i understand exactly why youre driving at, feel free to treat me like a complete idiot :) might just be how you phrased the questioned, the wire connecting the two chips, is soldered at each end onto the input/output pad on the PCB given, i'll post a picture up in a second (please ignore the screen and grounding wires etc)

IMAG1011.jpg

im affraid its not the best picture but you can clearly see the single black wire going between the two boards and the power supply to each board, the rest of the wires floating around the 40X2 boards are grounding (and part of the other project) th eone wire that isnt attached (from port A) you may just notice it, is the rest input :)

hope this helps

MartinM57

Is the black wire the signal wire between the two boards?

You need to have the Ground connections of the two boards connected - you're either doing that at the batteries (missing from the picture :)), or you need to run a dedicated wire that would be in your picture.

Also best/conventional to use black wire for Ground connections, rather than the signal connections - the electrons can't tell the colour of the plastic around the wire but casual observers will probably expect black to be a ground wire...

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Looks like the serial signal comes from the Darlington Array output. That should come direct from the PICAXE output pin.

im well aware of colouring conventions, i just choose to ignore them. since i stated the purpose of the wire. and yes, both boards are on a common ground as stated in the inital post.