Serial Programer

Phil bee

Hi Folks,

is it possible to use the basic editor to create a program and the use the Rev-Ed serial programmer to load it into a standard Pic chip, if so would the program run any quicker and would i still be able to do PWM.

Thanks Phil.

srnet

Is it possible to use the basic editor to create a program and the use the Rev-Ed serial programmer to load it into a standard Pic chip, if so would the program run any quicker and would i still be able to do PWM
No you cant.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The BAS800 serial programmer and Basic to Assembler Converter supports a limited range of PICmicro chips and also a limited range of PICAXE commands. It is an educational tool rather than a commercial compiler with bells and whistles.

More information can be found through the Help -> Assembler Datasheets menu option of Programming Editor.

srnet

If your question was can I program a native PIC with a serial program lead, then the answer is yes.

You load a serial bootloader into a native PIC with a standard PIC programmer and from then you can use a serial lead, such as the AXE027 to program the PICs.

However the programs the native PIC requires are .HEX files which are either generated by an Assembler, such as MPLAB, or are .HEX files generated by one of the available compilers. These compilers are available in various languages, C, Pascal and of course Basic. But the Basic is not the PICAXE basic we know and love, but versions of Basic that are proprietary to the companies that sell the compilers (and which cost £125+) .

crossthreaded

You can put together a free tool chain. I use a 'C' compiler under linux and a serial programmer that was built from my bit-box, but as Hippy correctly points out, none of these solutions give you the simplicity of the picaxe instruction set. For a specific tailored application however they can be quicker and, for large quantities, cheaper.