Serial port resetting picaxe

marky26uk

Hi all, i have an annoying problem, i use my picaxe for datalogging, but now for some reason when i have my serial cable connected to my picaxe (28x1), every so often something is happening to cause my picaxe to reset, thus clearing all my datalogging variables which is a big problem.
Anyone else encountered this problem ?
I have searched the forum posts but didn't find anytyhing.
It does this with my usb serial cable & normal serial cable.

Yours,
Mark

steliosm

Hello Mark.
What kind of download cable are you using? A ready-made or your own? What about the socket?
I've had similar issues when I was using a stereo socket for downloading programms and the connection with the breadboard wasn't firm enough.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Some system tray applications may occassionally probe serial ports to see if a PDA or MP3 Player has been connected. When the port is opened, that can force the PICAXE into thinking there's a download about to happen, it doesn't but the PICAXE has reset itself in the process.

Other applications when opened may also scan serial ports to see how many there are and cause similar problems.

marky26uk

serial resetting

Hi, thnx for speedy replies, i will check to see what i have running, what is whiteboard ?
I'm using 9-pin sockets & my cables are bought (not made).

Thanks again,
Mark

marky26uk

Serial resetting

Hi again, lol no i don't have one, & at that price i don't think i ever will lol.
Thanks for that though, atleast i know what one is now.
I'm hoping i have now found a solution to my problem, i found the disconnect & reconnect commands in the manual, which disable or re-enable the picaxe checking of serial port for downloads.
Upto now (apart from it doing it once, but i think it might have just been a power glitch), it seems to have cured it.
All i do now when i want to download into the picaxe again is make my program reconnect the serial port in software, then disconnect it again once finished.
Thank god that command feature is available, nice one technical :)

Thanks,
Mark