Serial Port Redirector software

jan h

I think that I can inderstand simple software, however the program " Serial Port redirector is delivered without any description. So you use your skil to understand how to use/apply it.
I prepare the computer where the Picaxe is connected to and use the program to redirect the COM port. I assume that on the remote computer no action has to be done. A verification on the remote computer of the connected hardware fails. The PING function tells me that he sees the remote computer.
Has somebody an advise how this complication can be solved?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
You have to setup both ends:

1) On the remote computer (where the PICAXE cable/chip is connected) you have to run the VSP Setup wizard software (which a separate application to download from the PICAXE software page).

This wizard configures the local serial port that the AXE026 or AXE027 cable is connected to, and the IP address of the other (local) computer.

2) On the local computer you run the wizard within Programming Editor (PICAXE>Wizards menu - not the separate application). This enables you to create a new local 'virtual' COM port on the local computer which is then mapped to the real serial port on the remote computer.

Any download from within the Programming Editor when the new 'virtual' COM port is selected will therefore be redirected to the real COM port on the other computer.

This is a 'one-off' process as both Wizards install a service application that then automtically runs whenever both computers are started.

jan h

serial port redirector next step

Thanks Techical for your prompt response, I appreciate this. Following the given procedure, finally the local computer show that a succesfull?? redirection was made. So far so good. My local comp. has only one real COM1 port. So I assume that in the Options screen " serial ports" now 2 COM ports must be detected. Because I assume again that a selection must be made to the virtual COM port as a last step to connect the editor in local comp. to the redirected COM 1 port on the remote comp. My gues is that you already think that the virtual COM port is invisible in the serial sreen list. Yes, you are absolutly right.
Could you, please give me an advice how to proceed??. But thanks again for you prompt reaction.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
On your local (Programming Editor) computer you should now have two COM ports available, the 'real' COM1 and the 'virtual' redirected COM port (another number, e.g. COM5). On the View>Options>Port screen you then select the other (e.g. COM5) number. Then use the Programming Editor as normal, but the download will actually be via the remote computer if everything is setup correctly.

jan h

serial port redirection

After trying a lot there is still no redirection. But somewhere there is a problem. I noticed that the reply time (ping) is always ZERO. This seems be a little to fast. In only one instance I recieved a replytime round 8 msec. So I suspect that there is no communication between the remote and local computer although my local network runs OK. After some tries the editor software ends up in a fail mode with the massage to send a error report. I used two different computers as local computer ( a fix and a laptop ( wireless mode) with Windows XP home and professional. The editor is V5.2.0 and v5.2.4. It makes no difference.
Could you advice my once again or/and ask all forum members if they have a solution.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The 'ping' tool is nothing to do with the VSP side of things - that just 'pings' over your network using standrad TCP/IP. Maybe post screenshots of your settings.