serial over LAN

hax

Hi I have had a look at the "simple LAN" product that was discussed a while ago, and it looks great, but I am after something a little different.

I am after sending two or three variables over and over again as part of a data logging experiment. The data rate I need is at least 30 readings per second.

Has anyone seen a LAN interface that will allow serial strings to be sent via packets to the receiving computer?

Or is there such a thing as a remote LAN to DB9 serial port without the need of a computer?

ciseco

Hi,

I could write you something in 10 mins, if you'd be prepared to buy the zigbee starter kit from TS, page on thier site, I've currently got 4 sitting by me doing 2 way comms so one way is a breeze, you'd not need much more than serout 7,T2400,(b1 etc). Zigbee more or less takes care of retries, CRC etc, it is possible to corrupt but from experience only on really long strings. I'm working on a two way protocol for over 1200 sensors (theoretical, need a pile more to find the actual limit)

http://194.201.138.187/epages/Store.storefront/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Products/XBE010

Alternativly, you can get 433Mhz radio pairs from many places for ?10-15 for both, but then you'd need to write your own error checking etc, I've got X10 and bye bye standby devices in my house, poor programming will drown them out and they in turn will give spurious effects without real error checking. Really depends if you've more time than money :)

Cheers

Miles
________
YZF-R1

Last edited:

moxhamj

If you want to send serial over LAN presumably this is within your domicile? So if you want to communicate via some blue cat5 you already have strung around the place without adding more cables, perhaps it is worth noting that only 4 of the 8 wires are used in any cat5 wire. Thus you could easily use the other 4 wires for whatever you want. And as they are twisted pair, you will easily be able to send baud rates of 4800 or more over several hundred metres at least.

So if you have some lan cable already in place, build a breakout box that passes through the 4 wires the lan uses and breaks out the other 4 wires. Then you can feed data in at one location, and have another breakout box near the computer that connects your spare 4 wires into the pc serial port. It is a bit non-standard, but no more non-standard than power over ethernet. 4 wires could give you RS232 Rx, Tx, ground and power, so you could also power the device remotely from the computer if it doesn't draw more than a few tens of milliamps.

Last edited:

hax

Thanks Hippy, the NEMO10 is just what I was after. And only $40 inc. shipping to Australia. Brilliant!