Serial LCD

masterchief1517

Hey everybody. I picked up one of Anderson's now-outdated LCD #118 serial kits a couple years ago to hopefully try to get my LCD (YJ-162A [Presumed to be standard, 16x2]) to work with my picaxe. Plenty of odd issues kept me from doing so back then. Just recently, I dug it back out and started going through everything and tried to get it to work, but it still doesn't.

When I give it 5V, then first row on the LCD is solid blocks, the bottom is blank, and nothing else happens even after letting it see for a few seconds and trying to use the reset. My guess is that the screen isn't initializing properly?

I also did a quick test on the using the pin 8-to-ground testing mode and I used the 5V test LED. The LED had no activity at all.

I'd thank you kindly for any help someone could offer.

Jonathan S.

pha555

Verify +5 VDC on term 14. GRD on terminal 5.

Resonator between 16 and 15 with center of resonator to GRD.

Term 4 4.7K to +5VDC

With term 8 at GRD, reset the PIC. If no activity on terms 14, 13, 2, 1, 18, 17 using LED, then the LCD #118 PIC is dead.

The LCD #118 was discontinued because after many years, I concluded the resonator was not necessary. The LCD117-2400 is functionally the same thing.

http://www.phanderson.com/lcd106/lcd107.html

masterchief1517

Yeah, zero activity with the LCD in place and everything wired up. Just to do a final test, I'll probably pull off every piece that doesn't have to be on there to have the chip running. So that means I just need pin 14, 5, 15-16, 4, and then 8 grounded, correct? I could try testing it like that. If it doesn't work, I'll just go ahead and pick up a #117 since they're pretty reasonably priced and I don't have that pesky resonator around. (The resonator is the main "odd reason" I had to stop, due to me incorrectly wiring it, then accidentally breaking it while desoldering....)

Thanks.

masterchief1517

I just tested out the above. No LED activity. In the event that the oscillator is malfunctioning/dead, what would the LED activity be like? Would it blink erratically or would it simply have no activity like it does now?

pha555

If the resonator is not working the PIC for the LCD just will not go. There will be no activity on the LED.

P H Anderson

manie

I think a comment is in place here:
Well done Phil, GOOD support on your product even if outdated. I am impressed as service is normally not encountered anymore.
The same MUST also be said for this forum and Rev-Ed !!!