Serial LCD chip no ext Osc?

westaust55

I am not aware of an alternative chip to the Rev Ed FRM010 specifically designed for LCD interfacing as a single chip solution as you seek.

An alternative is the approach used by Ron Hackett in his new book:
PICAXE Microcontroller Projects for the Evil Genius
See: http://www.jrhackett.net/

In that book, Ron has used a 20X2 PICAXE chip as the interface to accept serial commands and drive a parallel interface to an LCD display.
Ron has the programs for his projects available on his website.

I believe that the same has also been done in the past with a 14M PICAXE chip – try a search on this forum for the 14M solution.

fritz42_male

Thanks for the toysdownunder suggestion Marks - picking up 2 of them in an hour! :D

Sveks - still interested as the toysdownunder may not be ideal.

Premelec - interesting, I didn't know he did those. May use them in future

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Svejk

I'll send you a program to make your own serial Picaxe Firmware along with a schematic and PCB artwork. The LCD is required for testing.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I'd personally use a PICAXE-20X2 and high-speed serial. Any PICAXE with six output pins should work though maybe not work as well.

Svejk

I'd personally use a PICAXE-20X2 and high-speed serial.
That's exactly what I had in mind. I've done one with a 14M at 600 baud, works ok. I find it easier to "roll my own" than use a serial firmware.

westaust55

The 14M to LCD solution with hippys code to parallel output to the LCD is posted here:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=67665

At 4MHz the SERIN command cannot function slower than 600 baud,
At 8Mhz the min speed is 1200 baud.
Dropping charcter may be a problem is too many consecutive SEROUT commands used but if Svejk says he has done it then I have no reason to doubt it.

However, as per post 3, I recommend consideration be given to use of the 20X2 as Ron Hackett has in his book.

Last edited: