serial input command via programming pin

Hi, just wondering quickly, if there is a command to use the programming serial input to read serial data from, such as a wireless reciever. there is one for serial output -sertxd, but is there one for input?

saves me having to use an 18x rather than 28x, which i wanna try not to.

thanks.
nat

just thought i guess if serial data was to be inputted it would assum a new download? hence why there would not be a command?

Edited by - Roboteernat on 25/02/2007 15:39:11

Edited by - Roboteernat on 25/02/2007 16:06:34

Kewl Hippy, thanks for that.

thing is i need 5 switch inputs,
keyboard data input
keyboard clock input
wireless reciever input
sda pin
scl pin

so hmmm, yeah will have to see what chip i can use

thanks again
nat

BeanieBots

Before you jump to opting for a 28X, consider 18X plus 08M. It would leave you with the minor issue of getting the two to 'talk' with each other but it does offer more memory/processing for less board space.

hi,
Could you use 1 anologe input and switches with varying resistor network connected so each button press gave a distinct adc value?
Eric

Thing is the 5 switches could be on all the time and will be changing at different points, so switch 4 and 5 could be on or the first 3, oor whatever combinations. think i will just have to stick with the 28x, will have to buy another one :( tis annoying as i got 5 08s, 2 28a a 40x and several different 18a and 18x lol, oh well

the i2c bus is to control an sd20 cip of 10 servos, the 5 switches are from weach of the robotic fingers, and the reciever is from the data glove
and obviously keyboard data and clock so i can control the robot hand via keyboard to do different signs.
oh well, will order one tomorrow.

i did have a look at using an 08, but the 08 has only 4 inputs
so i would have to transmit this and i think it will be too complicated, but twas a good idea, i shall have a nother think and see :D

nat

EPAIII

Nat,
Would it be possible to combine two or more of your inputs into a single serial string? One of the devices would provide a start bit and then transmit X bits for it's information then after a certain fixed number of bits fly by, the second device would transmit it's Y bits, etc.? Don't ask me for code, just a wild idea.

Each sender would have to listen for the start bit and also delay to it's place in the cue. A silence (zero state) for a sufficient number of cycles would indicate the end of the transmission. Perhaps your deypad clock could be used as a synch signal.

Edited by - EPAIII on 25/02/2007 20:00:53

steirny

You could free up one of your keyboard inputs by using the IR method outlined in a thread "Data Entry Keypad" 18 Feb.

Worth a try.

jplinteau

Hi,

Since you only need 1 extra input I will suggest you to review using one of the ADC input for multiple switch.

This is well covered in AN234 from Microchip, and includes combinations of switches (simultaneous).
Here is the link:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/00234a.pdf

J-P

Just before neighbours starts thought id reply. that adc INPUT USING A KEYBAD ARRANGEMENT IS ONLY SUITABLE FOR SINGLE KEYPRESSES,

HOWEVER...

grr silly caps lock!

Just been looking at that data sheet u suggested and it said about having a different voltage divider on the adc input with unique switching voltage outputs will allow multiple switching.

I guess instead of asking
if pinx = 1

i can compare the analogue input and if its between w and x its switch 1, make b11 = 1, if its between x and y make b12 = 1, and if its between y and z then both switces are pressed, b11 and b12 = 1

:D

Yay think afetr neighbours i will get on with breadboarding it.
i mader the servo mounting today out of red aluminium so its looking good :) though only 4 weeks to go till project open day on the 5th!!!
aarrrgghhhhhhh

nat

Edited by - Roboteernat on 26/02/2007 17:30:22