Serial I/O

I intend to use a 28x in a project that require serial communications between devices. This is over a distance of 500 metres, so I am using RS422 chips on the serial i/p & o/p.
Question; Do the serial i/p & o/p perform normally afet downloading the program. Or does the PICAXE overlay prevent this. Obviously using rs232 comms for the download, and then interfacing to rs422.

andrewpro

You will need to use a different pin for serial comms comming into the picaxe, but the serial out line can remain the same.

manuka

Suggest that regular RS232 be at least tested over the distance, as you may be VERY suprised! We managed suitable 08 datacomms over chains of kids holding hands,100m of twin core bell wire & even lengths of damp string with earth return! All worked a treat, but try slower baud rates of course. Stan

hi Andypro.
Thanks for that, have you tried this? I am using Inputs 0 to 7 as O/P's. Looking at my project I could use one of the 4 analogue inputs in logic mode. The question now is does it work with the serin command?

andrewpro

I've gone 40-50 meters using level shifters (up to +12 volts then back down to 5) but never directly just off the picaxe. And I've never tried RS422.

--Andy P

I am not concerned about the rs422 as I work in TV and we use a lot of it. ( all pro VT machines use RS422 as control.
I a, ony woried about the PICAX and the serial I/P

manuka

Picaxe serial has shaped up almost bullet proof, & it's a REAL tribute to the gurus who squeezed it on board. Give it a whirl as is!