Serial cable annoyance

sputz

I received my picaxe 28x starter kit, I was all set to experiment (been waiting eagerly for the weekend, resurrected my old laptop with serial port...), when I tried on the serial cable, I realized it has a female connector, same as my laptop. I need to get a gender changer.

Why isn't this mentioned anywhere? :mad:

Dippy

Maybe it should be clarified, I dunno, it's standard issue.

I have NEVER seen a RS232/Serial connector on a PC that isn't male (pins showing). I've also just checked a PCM serial adaptor, again the connector is male.
On desktops and notebooks. Both my ancient HPs serials are male.

Are you sure you're looking at the right 'hole'?

sputz

Look at the picture of the port

That's the notebook I have...

Maybe this is a UK/US thing? :confused:

Last edited:

Dippy

Are you sure that's not a 15 way Hi-D monitor output or similar?

By the way, one of my PCs is a US import and it's a 9-way male connector for RS232. I think that standard has been around for a 100 years. And I think it was a US standard??

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Dippy beat me to it, posting while I was applying gamma-correction to the image. It is indeed a VGA connector ...

Attachments

marcos.placona

sputz that's tottally your fault mate :D

It's a VGA connector you have. Actually if I'm not mistaken we happen to have the same laptop (Compaq M2000)

When I saw the picture, it was almost like looking at my own laptop.

UPD: After a second look, it's not the same as mine, as the lead connector comes from the back of it on yours, and here it comes out from the left.

Last edited:

Dippy

Blimey! I typed faster than hippy? Egad!
He normally swoops down like a hawk from invisible mode :)

sputz

Thanks guys! It is indeed a monitor port! Been such a long time I've used these things... aw crap! Should've ordered the usb cable and continued working on my Mac!

westaust55

When you get the USB cable (AXE027) you will also need to install the USB drivers. Apparently there are problems with the Mircosoft FTDI USB drivers for this type of application (using USB to simulate serial comms for microcontrollers and similar).

From the Rev-Ed website:
AXE027 PICAXE USB Download Cable

This is the latest driver for the USB Download Cable (part AXE027), required if your computer or laptop does not have a spare serial port (note that Windows 95 and NT do not support USB devices).
USB Driver for XP / 2000 / 2003 / Vista
USB Driver for XP (64 bit version)
USB Driver for 98SE / ME
USB Download Cable Installation Instructions

sputz

Thanks westaust for the heads-up. I'm going to get the usb cable. Atleast there are no pins to count on that!:)