IronJungle

I just noticed on my profile that I have the honor of being a Senior Member.

I'm honored and plan to uphold all the responsibilities of the title, but is this just because I have asked enough stupid questions (such as this one) to get my post count past a certain number?

inglewoodpete

Yep. Enough questions. Now you have to answer questions and do other responsible things.

Also, tint your hair grey/gray. Although we have had a few senior members under 18 or 20 too!

boriz

Don't forget, the most important thing is ... er ... hmm ... it was on the tip of my tongue ... er ...

JimPerry

And arg733 is also a Senior Member - 100 posts about anything and you become one - 10,000 and you get to move in with Hippy? :rolleyes:

Dippy

Yes, I think the Forum also should a question mark count to see who is asking and who is answering ;)

"....10,000 and you get to move in with Hippy?"
I was wondering why Nick does 50 posts per day - it's so he can get his schoolwork done for him :)

What's the next grade up?
Senior Citizen Member?

Oooh Blimey, I'm not that far off, I'd better start packing my suitcases.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
As we are on the subject and it's something I've been meaning to ask our American friends for a while; I've seen a few on this and other forums take the appellation of "senior member" less than enthusiastically but have never seen it explained why. There definitely seems to be a cultural element coming into play but I don't know what or why.

Is the term "senior" seen as somewhat derogatory or ageist ? Is it the use alongside "member", when taken as a slang term, which causes the perceived derision ?

In the UK "senior" has no obvious negative connotations, and is seen more as a measure of rank, experience or position of authority than necessarily related to age, though they often correlate. The term "seniors" isn't used for people over 65 ( we have "pensioners", also deemed non-derogatory AFAIAA ), and one doesn't commonly find the terms "senior" and "junior" used with names.

I can see how "senior member" could be taken as a euphemism for "old thing" or the like which could be taken as less than delightful but I don't know if that's it or not. Some enlightenment would be appreciated.

Dippy

...pssst... hippy, I think some people were just having a bit of a joke about 'senior' being related to grizzled old PICAXEr.

... pssst2... In addition to 'experienced' and 'veteran', "seniors" is very often used for older people. "Senior Citizen", "Senior Railcard" , "Seniors tour" (tennis) etc. etc.

The odd thing about this Forum is the actual threshold at which someone becomes "senior".
Obv it would be equally daft for some poor sop to sit around grading people like some exam board.
As it stands it's pretty meaningless but gives us all a laugh.

Other Forums have different designations and methods of attaining a Guru status.
It may be useful to some and certainly an ego-kick to others.
If it causes colly-wobbles then the answer is simple - get rid of it.

Besides, if this were the "Carry On Matron" Forum then "senior member" and "old thing" could be a euphemism for something else :)
My neighbour has been giving me duff advice on how to fix my mower - as far as I can recall he's always been a 'complete member'.

Cheer up all - it's a lovely day for many of us!

mrburnette

As we are on the subject and it's something I've been meaning to ask our American friends for a while; I've seen a few on this and other forums take the appellation of "senior member" less than enthusiastically but have never seen it explained why. There definitely seems to be a cultural element coming into play but I don't know what or why.

Is the term "senior" seen as somewhat derogatory or ageist ? Is it the use alongside "member", when taken as a slang term, which causes the perceived derision ?

In the UK "senior" has no obvious negative connotations, and is seen more as a measure of rank, experience or position of authority than necessarily related to age, though they often correlate. The term "seniors" isn't used for people over 65 ( we have "pensioners", also deemed non-derogatory AFAIAA ), and one doesn't commonly find the terms "senior" and "junior" used with names.

I can see how "senior member" could be taken as a euphemism for "old thing" or the like which could be taken as less than delightful but I don't know if that's it or not. Some enlightenment would be appreciated.
It becomes more obvious, Hippy, when you look at the Senior Members of Congress...
Few Americans want to be compared to that bunch. I have a friend that is nearly 70 and refuses to order the discounted "senior" meals from the pancake house because he thinks they are substandard in some way! I, on the other hand, always order from the senior menu because I can then take and pool my $1 saved until I have enough money to buy new electronic parts. In my case, I guess my parts bins are senior moments (dementia-based, temporal disturbance, that only a Time Lord would understand.)

- Ray

westaust55

The forum is running using vBulletin software developed in the US (California I believe). It is the vBulletin software that likely have the member status terminologies and Rev Ed likely only get to select the transition point.

vbulletin makes it so forum members can be automatically promoted to a new "rank", in this case, Senior Member based on both post count and/or how long someone has been registered. This can make it so it can be set up so someone must be registered on the site for say over 8 months, and have over 800 posts before obtaining the rank; shows not only that they have been here for a long time, but are active by posting a lot; whether it be spam :eek: or not.

a question on another vBulletin powered forum sa a default guideline:
How are the member "ranks" conferred? I'm talking about "Junior Member," "Member," "Senior Member," "VIP Member," ...
and the response was:
A Junior Member is anyone with 0-29 posts, a Member is anyone with 30-99 posts, and a Senior Member is anyone with 100 or more posts. A VIP Member is anyone with a Reputation level of 2000, or has been a registered member for 730 days, or has 1000 posts. These are just the default settings of the forum.
Obviously Rev Ed has elected not to use all of these "ranks"

With respect to hippy's question, in the past I noted there would more likely be cases of John Citizen the Third, or John Citizen Junior but seemingly rarely John Citizen Senior
Yet in many profession we have "Senior" to indicate a level of experience and knowledge - hence for engineering:
Graduate Engineer, Engineer, Intermediate Engineer, Senior Engineer, Lead Engineer, Senior Lead, etc

SAborn

Ray, time to throw out those push bike parts (valves) and move up to these new fangle things called Transistors, you can even use them with a increadable device called a "Picaxe" and no mining required.
You dont even need a wheel barrow to go with the picaxe.

techElder

I am just glad to have attained this level of acceptance. "Senior" doesn't bother me, but that may be related to my proximity to that age group. That begs the question of how the number of posts relates to an age group? <GRIN>

Which brings up the question, what the heck does labeling the number of posts have to do with anything? Just get rid of it (except for moderators etc.). Leave us "members" to determine what the number of posts mean to them.

sedeap

Cultural slang phrases...

As we are on the subject and it's something I've been meaning to ask our American friends for a while...
...There definitely seems to be a cultural element coming into play but I don't know what or why.

LOL... don't try to translate those words to spanish Latin-American... or tell to someone "Hey!, senior member" (miembro viejo) in street, because you probably get a punch in nose...
That phrase becomes a slang mean "dysfunctional manhood" and not be good, to any wandering guy.

LOL... you make my day... too funny... laughing till tears....

C.U. pals
. :D:D:D

IronJungle

hippy.

Senior does not have a negative meaning in the US. It means "experienced". For example a senior in high school or a senior in college is on their last year before graduation.

Senior is fine.

mrburnette

Ray, time to throw out those push bike parts (valves) and move up to these new fangle things called Transistors, you can even use them with a increadable device called a "Picaxe" and no mining required.
You dont even need a wheel barrow to go with the picaxe.
Isn't it a great time to be alive? I've been using transistor sockets in all my projects so I can move my "senior" Raytheon CK722 TopHat germanium transistor around as needed.

- Ray

mrburnette

hippy.

Senior does not have a negative meaning in the US. It means "experienced". For example a senior in high school or a senior in college is on their last year before graduation.

Senior is fine.
However... "senior" when used as a synonym for "old" does seem to upset some folks. Senior living facilities are often referred to down South as old-folk homes or county-home ... not a flattering reference for many of the residences.

- Ray

SAborn

Raytheon CK722 TopHat germanium transistor
You make it sound like something "superman" would be scared of, like cryptonite.

If you are using a socket than its not a SMD component. :D

SAborn

The Title of "Senior Member" is fine by me, and comes with benefits, like when we make a mistake it can be considered as a "Senior Moment" There seems to be more of them as i get older.