Seeking Ideas on How to Keep Squirrel Off Roof

beb101

Ok, here is the problem. A squirrel (or squirrels) is using my roof as a path to go from a tree in the front of the house to another tree in the rear. Because of the nature of squirrel claws, this is very destructive to the shingles. Cutting down the trees is not an option. There is a low tech questionable, temporary solution such as spreading cayenne pepper or one of the fox urine products, but the results seem to be spotty at best. Then there is motion detction. I have several cheap Harbor Freight battery powered PIR nightlights and thought to place them strategically along the path. I abandoned this idea when I discovered that tree squirrels are diurnal and the nightlights won't work in daylight. However, this product seems to work in daylight,

http://www.amazon.com/Driveway-Patrol-Sensor-Receiver-Kit/dp/B0000645RH/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344799233&sr=1-1

My thought here was to mount the detector and alert module together and point it along the path. Then when the squirrel is detected, the alert triggers and scares it away (maybe). I also have a bunch of old 08m parts, but I am not sure the DIY approach is as cost effective as as the Driveway Patrol when you factor in the cost of the sensor and piezo buzzer.

Any thoughts on this problem are most welcome ...

Baxter

eclectic

A genuine question.

What scares a squirrel?

The ones in my small garden appear fearless,
and just wait until I go back indoors.

e

techElder

This is what I use in my vegetable garden.

With a little ingenuity, you could get it mounted near your roof (perhaps one on each tree.) Or perhaps use the idea to create your own from scratch.

Works so well, that I took my fence down. I use 3 of them. I've seen deer tracks in the soft dirt that suddenly change path by 90 degrees, apparently when the sprinkler goes off.

The only problems that I've had with this system is the damn cheap water hoses that I bought / buy to use with them.

Jeff Haas

We have used the Scarecrow water sprayers. They work really well on squirrels. It turns out that they're designed to not only shoot a big stream of water out, but they have used a cheaper sprinkler head that is noisy. Squirrels have very sharp "startle" reflexes, and when something makes a loud noise and there is suddenly six feet of spraying water, they can't help themselves and they RUN to get away. It can be pretty funny to see happen.

beb101

Thank you all for your great ideas. The consensus seems to be that a motion activated sprinkler is very effective. Jeff Haas's comment, "Squirrels have very sharp "startle" reflexes" leads me to believe that the product in my link of an audible motion alarm might just work. If it doesn't, then I will move on to a sprinkler. The Contech CRO101 Scarecrow Motion Activated Sprinkler is highly rated on Amazon.

Baxter

Paix

I think that the best improvement would perhaps to be to use some form of feeder in line with the water jet. The purpose being to add a squirt of washing up liquid and chili juice to the jet of water. If accuracy is a problem, then an area spray should prove to be a slightly more effective. The washing up liquid should ensure that the squirrel is properly wetted and the chili should ensure that the experience is rendered memorable, least Mr Nutkin should have a short memory.

Super project, well worth the consumable supplies. Have fun.

Goeytex

How about a motion triggered rubber rattlesnake?

When the squirrel is detected a small motor runs making the tail rattle while a jet of
chilli water spews out of its mouth. I'm thinking an automotive wind shield washer pump
might work well for the sprayer.

Jamster

If you get some of the irrigation sprayers from your local garden centre you should be able to cover your whole roof for £10 worth of sprayer and pipe then a simple solenoid from an outdoor tap (etc) and a PIR (etc) should ensure he doesn't escape getting wet, expecially if you set it off when he's in the middle of the roof. :p Only problem may be the lack of pressure from the sprayers...

Also, we are being sexist here - it could be a female squirrel :)

Jeff Haas

The funny thing is, there's no need to worry about the squirrel actually getting wet. It's more important that something moves suddenly and makes a noise. They will JUMP. There are videos on YouTube where teenagers scare off squirrels and cats using loud noises.

beb101

With all of these good ideas something very effective might be possible. Last evening I decided to go low tech and trap the buggers. I ordered a trap from Amazon and then cancelled it this morning when my wife reminded me that our idiot neighbor has been feeding them. This is probably why my roof is being used as the shortest path to free food and most likely every squirrel in the neighborhood has heard about the bonanza. The neighbor has been gently informed that this is not a good practice, but she is a willful woman and sees no harm.

Jeff Haas understands squirrel psychology. So, given that sudden movement and noise scares a squirrel, I think a convergent solution may be a driveway motion sensor with an audible alert,

http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-driveway-alert-system-93068.html

This could be hacked to add a bright white led for nighttime and would provide the opportunity to bring an elderly 08m out of retirement. I have a couple of cheap hobby servos doing nothing so the idea is to let the Picaxe wave a small panel with an led on it, all being activated by the motion trigger. I must now review Picaxe servo driving options.

Baxter

techElder

Ok, here's my second suggestion. It is so much cheaper than the first, and you probably have the stuff in your junk box (even the aging 08 would work.)

I have done this when we had an "infestation" of raccoons, possums (or opossums) and armadillos. It worked in two nights. Disappeared.

Make a timer program. Add all the low power features (like sleep, snooze and battery save). Set the frequency of a couple of outputs for 5 seconds. Set the ON time for 1 second. Make the outputs alternate. When one is functioning, have the other one off. It's OK to have the second one come ON right after the first one. (This is only to keep the total current down.)

Connect 2 RED LEDs w/resistor (keep the current down to the chip unless you use an external transistor to drive the LEDs) to one output. Connect 2 other RED LEDs w/resistor to the second output.

Each pair of LEDs should be arranged so they are approximately 1 inch to 1-1/2 inch apart facing the same direction. The pairs of LEDs should be facing opposite directions on the path you are involved with.

The idea here is that the squirrels will see this as the eyes of a predator from afar and will avoid the area. DISCLAIMER: I never tried this on squirrels. Your squirrels may just take a less direct path.

I made several for my territory and built them into PVC pipe fittings (for weatherizing.) I also added 360 degree coverage and a light sensor (to save batteries.) Batteries would last for 6 months.

I would be interested in your results with the squirrels, though. Yours is a more direct situation with your squirrel path, and the results more obvious.

PS. If you could scare them ALL to your "squirrel-loving" neighbor then everyone would be happy ... right? <evil-grin>

JimPerry

Sound like a great idea - how about attaching the LEDs to a small stepper or servo that rotates the "eye" slowly to different random positions (looking around for prey!) - too late to patent idea now ... :rolleyes:

Just thought of perfect name CAT "Critter Automatic Terrorizor" :)

Last edited:

SAborn

Rather than adding the cost of a stepper and its power hungry appetite, would it not be simpler to use a picaxe with more outputs and extra leds, then rotate the "eyes" via doing a running led string at a slow rate, it might look like a flashing dildo on your roof that could cause its own issues, then thats another story???.

techElder

That's exactly how I built mine. Rotated as pairs of "eyes" using a 20x2. I had better battery life out of the old 08, though I could power the 20x2 with a 3V lithium.

Rather than adding the cost of a stepper and its power hungry appetite, would it not be simpler to use a picaxe with more outputs and extra leds, then rotate the "eyes" via doing a running led string at a slow rate, it might look like a flashing dildo on your roof that could cause its own issues, then thats another story???.

Varmint Eyes Texasclodhopper.jpg Varmint Eyes Texasclodhopper (1).jpg

PS. Hasn't attracted any wanton females, yet.

Last edited:

Paix

One can only hope that the willful neighbour gets a visit from the biological wire strippers that squirrels are. The shingles would be small potatoes compared to the damage that can happen to the electrics once a squirrel gets into the loft space.

Maybe a word or two with other neighbours about the dangers of house fires due to squirrel damage to wiring might make him/her a little bit more introspective and amenable to suggestion. Maybe the electric eyes could follow him/her when they are out in their garden feeding the critters.

This sort of thread I think brings out the best in people and shows the evil genius in everyone . . . wonderful stuff!

techElder

It is a double-sided board, but there is also another board "behind" the visible board with an inter-board connector. I've built other ones in smaller PVC, but it gets to be like building a ship in a bottle. Thanks for asking.

Nice work Texy, it looks like you cheated and SMD a through hole chip, or is it a DS board.