sealed lead acid battery tester

davidwf

has anyone made a tester for SLA type lead acid batteries?.... the recommended method seems to be to pass a small ac current of around 1kHz through the battery to determine its internal resistance....

papaof2

Sometimes hard to put forth the effort to design and build something that Banggood or AliExpress can deliver for about $20US on sale.

Maybe search for "AC milliohm tester" because that's what's "under the hood" of those meters. The calculations for the battery's AH, CA or CCA based on the values you input and what the meter reads in milliohms from the battery under test you'd have to figure out. Possibly not too bad if you have one of the inexpensive commercial meters to explore - or maybe there's something at batteryuniversity.com ?

davidwf

thank you....
I did buy a commercial tester from Amazon which, as you say was only around £30 but it relies on the CCA (not the AH) of the battery for accurate test results...unfortunately no manufacturer will quote the CCA of a standard SLA battery as they arent realy designed to provide short bursts of high current like a car starter battery does

papaof2

Do a more detailed search for the battery type of interest - Honda uses a 1.3AH AGM battery for their electric start walk behind/self-propelled gas mower (1.3AH is a ballpark figure from memory because I don't want to dig through the equipment shed out back in the dark). Typical battery life is one, maybe two seasons. Some of the battery manufacturers have datasheets that list all the possible uses their battery might be put to: example: two 12V, 7AH batteries in series to power an 810 watt, 1200VA UPS is some serious power from the batteries. 810 watts at 24 volts, even if the UPS' inverter is 90% efficient, is 37.5 amps. That use tells you that the battery in question can sustain 37.5 amps for the 3 or 6 or whatever minutes the UPS is rated to power that load. I think it's safe to say that you could consider that value the CA (cranking amps at 77F) and something less than that value as the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps at 32F(?)).
Power Sonic has a broad range of datasheets available as do some of the other manufacturers, such as Yuasa. They may not have CA or CCA but they will have some of the "torture" levels of discharge buried in one or more charts. The info you want is there, but you probably won't find it on the BatteryClerk or UPSbatteries web pages. That level of detail usually requires going to the manufacturer.
You might also find information at non-traditional sites, such as The Chicago Tribune listing of "Best Motorcycle Batteries":

Yes, I've been scrounging parts for so long I've almost forgotten how to go up to a counter and make a purchase ;-)