SDA & SCL legs of 18X

SIRA

To Technical:
Are the functions of SDA & SCL assigned to specific legs of 18X, or can these functions be assigned to other legs? In the circuit of the DataLoggerModule on page#6 of the "axe110.pdf", what are legs# 7 & 10 in the PICAXE-18X? Why in this application are the SDA & SCL cross connected between the 18X and the two i2c devices, viz., DS1307 and 24LCxx?
Next, would you please give the name of the author of the "SPELL CHECKER" poem. I would like to acknowledge the author when I mail it to my friends?
Thanks.

Edited by - sira on 05/12/2006 15:27:41

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
<i>Are the functions of SDA &amp; SCL assigned to specific legs of 18X, or can these functions be assigned to other legs? </i>

They are fixed by the underlying PICmicro (16F88) hardware and cannot be assigned to other legs.

You could write bit-banging software to use other pins but you could then not use the in-built PICAXE I2C commands for those pins.

<i>In the circuit of the DataLoggerModule on page#6 of the &quot;axe110.pdf&quot;, what are legs# 7 &amp; 10 in the PICAXE-18X? </i>

The physical leg number of the chips; Leg 7, Output Pin 1, I2C SDA, and Leg 10, Output Pin 4, I2C SCL.

<i>Why in this application are the SDA &amp; SCL cross connected between the 18X and the two i2c devices, viz., DS1307 and 24LCxx? </i>

That appears to de a drawing error. I'm sure the actual PCB tracking is correct or the PCB would never work.