Schematic Creation - A Tutorial

TAMeyer

Attaching a circuit drawing to a Post

Greetings:

Attached is a tutorial to assist new users who have Picaxe questions, but do not know the best means to add a circuit drawing to their post.

It assumes the user has only the most rudimentary set of tools available to them (no scanner, camera or circuit design software).

This is a complete re-write/re-draw of an earlier document. The suggestions members and moderators made before have been incorporated here.

The tutorial's completed drawing is attached separately.

Known issue:
The procedure is dependent upon the site that hosts the online tool.

As always, all comments welcome.

Thanks

Terry

Attachments

Last edited:

Rbeckett

Terry, I am a pretty new beginner, but caps seem to be missing in your circuit design. I would think caps on all of the +V and -V to ground and a couple across the +/- rails as wel as the switch would smooth the circuit and add considerable stability to your design. Just a thought...definately correct me if I am wrong, please. Thanks for the tutorial, I appreciate your effort and assistance!!!!
Bob

cdngunner

Terry, I am a pretty new beginner, but caps seem to be missing in your circuit design. I would think caps on all of the +V and -V to ground and a couple across the +/- rails as wel as the switch would smooth the circuit and add considerable stability to your design.
I think you missed the point........

lbenson

Very nice. Of course, anyone who searches enough to find this tutorial might find out about free downloadable schematic programs like Diptrace or ExpressPCB.

The only issue I noted is that this line under "#1" appears to be incomplete or misworded: "Use a left to right “flow” for how your circuit" (or maybe should just omit the word, "how"). (You might expand on "left to right" for inputs to outputs, and "top to bottom" for power to ground/common/0V.)

Thanks for taking the time.

TAMeyer

The only issue I noted is that this line under "#1" appears to be incomplete or misworded....
....and it was. Thank you for the proof, new version uploaded.

---------------------

No, didnt miss the point of a drawing program, just thought it might have been a little incomplete and respectfully offered a question or suggestion.
In fairness to both cdngunner and Rbeckett, Please allow these thoughts:

A/The basis of the tutorial was to show those who post detailed questions with no attachment that there is:

>>>no legitimate excuse why they cannot include a diagram with thier question<<<.

B/ The basis of the forum is to learn of course. I don't post often, but here or on any other board, I learn sooooo much when I do. Indeed, I had forgotten that decoupling on battery powered projects was a question I had some time ago.

There are two answers- one specific/one global
1/ Yes, even on battery projects it is a good idea (Google)
2/ This is the type of mistake a newbie would make when posting a diagram and it does expose the inflexibility of drawing a diagram using this procedure.

Still the focus remains : Help Us Help You...Post Your Circuit.

Thanks for reading and the feedback.

Terry

BeanieBots

Just my tuppence worth.
I'd like to see the ground for the output LED come DOWN to ground rather than shoot off to the right to meet with the ground used by the transistor.

flyingnunrt

I have just found a drawing package that may be of some use,
It is very much like Autocad. It can be downloaded at 'Draftsight.com' and is free for private use.

TAMeyer

Oops

Believe it or not, I came across the thread titled "Tutorials" - yesterday- ...

The "tone" of some responses was a little chilly in some cases.

Now I understand better, one reason, why my efforts here to show newcomers a means of creating an attachment received a cool reception.

Not just the title, but it's "timing".

So the title has changed.

This action to:
1- Encourage additional feedback before I amend the document with what has already been suggested.

2- I have a circuit question and wish to warm any frosty feelings on the forum.

Thanks

Terry

TAMeyer

Request to Moderators

Hmmmmmmm...

It seems users cannot change the title of a thread....only individual posts of their creation.

May I request of the Admin to:

Either change the thread's title to "Attaching a circuit drawing to a post"
-or
Delete the entire thread and I will recreate using the newly suggested title.

Also, Is there a more elegant means of requesting such housekeeping from the forum heads?

Thanks

Terry

lbenson

Even if you feel you've had few responses, I wouldn't say that this thread has had a "cool" reception. One problem is that those who don't need what you have offered are unlikely to respond, and unfortunately, those who do need it are unlikely to have done enough searching to have found it.

But if they do find it, and use it, then you will have done us all a favor. Knowledge of that is probably about the best you can hope for.