Scandinavian alphabet to LCD

blauer

Two small problems....

1. How do I send ASCII character to LCD display IF it's not a "normal" anglo alphabet?
2. How do i combine "normal" anglo ABC characters with scandinavian Ascii characters in serout command?
For example serout 0,N2400,("Txxlla") But these x-letters are our own scandinavian oddities in albhabets. Letter Ä wich is not in anglo alphabet-system.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
You can only display a character on an LCD if it is already within the displays memory.

Have a look for the datasheet display table

part AXE033 display character set is shown in Appendix B of
http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/axe033.pdf

For instance to show the omega (ohms) character add the lookup table number ($F4) to your code

serout 7,n2400,("Resistance=",#b1,$F4)

If the character is not there it is much harder - you have to use the PICAXE>AXE033 Serial LCD wizard to generate your own character (generating a dot matrix pattern).

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Note also that different brand and/or model displays have different charactersets - it may also be worth your while trying to find an alternate display that supports the Scandinavian characterset. See the 'Powertip brand' table in Appendix C - this may be better for you that the 'Elek brand'.

Edited by - Technical on 11/15/2005 9:47:15 AM

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
For the 'standard' HD44780 LCD, if you only ever need 8 unique Scandinavian characters on the LCD at a time they can be created as User-Defined Charcaters ( aka "In CGRAM" ). These can be changed on the fly as needed, but if you change a character, where it has already been written on the display will change also.

blauer

Thanks you
I was missing that $ sign in right spot...

serout 7,n2400,("T",$e1,$e1,"ll",$e1)

Above serout says "here" in Finnish using Elec&Eltek LCD. Both LCD's have scandinavian letters.