Saving software changes

gerrymcc

After a break of several years, I have got back to PICAXE for a new project. As I am now using a new computer with Windows 7 (instead of XP and a serial port), I have therefore had to use the new Editor (V 6.0.5.9 Beta) and install the USB cable driver (AXE027) in. (Why oh why does this AXE027 installation have to be so difficult?? I still do not know if I have it working.) This new project uses a lot of code from my last program. I therefore copied the last project's code and pasted it into a new Workspace (??). The old project used a 20X2, and the new one will use an 18M2. Under Settings, I can change the type to 18M2. But I cannot save this change. I seem to have been able to make and save a lot of other changes to the old program- required because of the new pin naming arrangement. I have used CNTRL+S to Save, but when I try to close down the Editor, it asks me if I want to save the changes. "No" shuts the Editor down without saving this change. "Yes" asks a question about Workspace Files (??). When reopening a file created by a "Yes" answer, it presents something which is nothing like the file as it originally was. Software stuff. How do I save this simple device change? I have looked through Manual 1 and Manual 2 without finding anything of use, and tried a Search of the Forum. I must be very dumb and more stupid than I thought. Thank you.

ZOR

Might be wrong, if so sorry. But if you start your code with
#picaxe 20m2

or whatever Picaxe it is, the editor will pick it up. Hold breath I am right

EDIT See Page 7 Manual 2

Last edited:

AllyCat

Hi Gerry,

a new computer with Windows 7 (instead of XP and a serial port), I have therefore had to use the new Editor (V 6.0.5.9 Beta) ....
That shouldn't be necessary. AFAIK both PE5 (v5.5.5, with an optional "patch" to v.5.5.6) and PE6 (Beta) are compatible with the latest versions of Windows and can be installed and run on the same computer. Strictly, "Beta" versions (i.e. PE6) shouldn't be used for "serious" work (nor re-learning exercises :) ).

IMHO if you've already used PE5, then the best approach is to get it running again with your code and then adapt it and the processor type (and yourself) to PE6 as required. AFAIK, the #PICAXE directive is now (sadly) considered to be a programming "error" in the new PE6 environment.

Cheers, Alan.

rq3

AFAIK, the #PICAXE directive is now (sadly) considered to be a programming "error" in the new PE6 environment.
I haven't seen that. What I HAVE seen is if the directive in the code disagrees with the Picaxe type in the workspace, the editor complains during a syntax check. I'm still getting used to the "workspace" concept, though.

tony_g

the #picaxe type directive works fine for me in pe6, the only time it disagree's is when i open up a workspace and forget to check the panel to the left has the correct type selected as the directive,otherwise thats the only time it tells me an error is present,

gerry when you close down a session on pe6 it asks if you want to save the .bas file and then after if you want to save the .wsp file,say yes to both,then when you use pe6 again and open a saved.wsp file it opens the .bas you used in that saved .wsp along with any environment settings.

it does take some getting used to and occasionally i do go back and forth between pe5 and pe6 depending on the project.

gerrymcc

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Appreciate your time spent. I think following AllyCat's suggestion (go back to PE5) is the one I will initially follow since I am much, much more confident of my hardware skills than my software/computer skills. I now have two more additional comments. I did put the "#picaxe 20m2" in several places- before and after "start:", and the syntax checker complained each time. tony_g- I can open the first version of the code (written using PE6) I saved as .bas. After making a few small changes, when I exit, the only question I get is "Do you want to save the file as (samename).bas?" "Yes" simply closes down the file with the same file name and saving the changes; "no" closes the same way without saving the changes. I do not get the .wsp file. (Could the .wsp file be saved in a different place to the .bas file? I have not looked, but I have the PE6 editor on a solid state drive, and the project files on a hard drive.) After trying a few other things, which I will not try to describe, I think either I do not fully understand the Save/Save As/Workspace concepts in PE6, or there are "issues" with the way I have installed and have set it up. Back to PE5 seems the safest option. Thank you all again.