S16204A LCD Display

Logic Rules

Hi Guys,
I am getting a little frustrated trying to interface thePICAXE 18X, and the S16204A LCD Display from Microtips. Has anyone managed to get this CHEAP little LCD going?
I have followed all of the data I can get my hands on but nothing comes up on the display.
I get it to fire up; The backlight, and all but when I try to output data to it, it just displays 16 x 2 boxes.
As this is my first attempt to serout I am probably going about it all wrong but it looked good to me; until nothing showed. :(
I'm running a very simple program:

' Test display

initdisplay:
pause 500
serout 1,T2400,(254,128)
serout 1,T2400,("Hello1234")
end

The data comes up in the simulation but not when I run it.
The datasheet says there is only 1 serial input needed, to pin3, and a cuppla other pin setups. The VDD, and VSS is split with the V0 thru a 20K pot. I have managed to set it evenly; of course there is probably another split config that has not been explained in the datasheet so I am at this point seeking help. There is, most likely, many other things that I have not considered. But ain't dat wat lernins all 'bout?
Please help if you can.

SD2100

If your getting just dark boxes then it could be the contrast pin voltage is too low. if it has one.

The VDD, and VSS is split with the V0 thru a 20K pot.

maybe thats what this is ???

Last edited:

ylp88

Is this a serial LCD? I can't find a datasheet for "S16204A" but looking at "S16204", those which I've seen run from a 4-bit or 8-bit interface. Perhaps you can provide a link to the data you are referring to?

ylp88

Logic Rules

Hi,
Microtips has 3 different models in the MTC-16204 category. The datasheets all seemed similar so after finding a way to fire it up I chose to go with the MTC-S16204XRGHS because of the BG light; I had to pick one. I do not see anything indicating whether or not it is a serial device.

MTC-S16204XRGHS
2 lines by 16 regular characters, STN, Reflective, Gray background, High operating temperature range, Six o’clock viewing angle, with KS0066 or equivalent controller

http://www.microtipsusa.com/Products_characterLCD_PDF.asp

Thank you for your comments

Tom2000

It's a parallel interface. Search for 'HD44780'.

Hippy has written a very elegant code example for driving these LCDs.

And here's a site that presents just about everything you need to know about what to do with your LCD.

Tom

Last edited:

Logic Rules

Hey Tom,
No fair; After some diligent searching, and comparing I found what I was looking for, Happy Hippy's site. I found that site yesterday, and setup exactly as he stated, except for the "byte" Symbol, it's a reserved word. I changed it to "dbyte" and all worked perfectly.
I'm feeling quite proud of myself; I think I''ll go have a be.., soda.:)
But thank you for your efforts.