Runtime error 482...

Grogster

Hi all.
:)

Programmer version 5.4.2
Windoze XP Pro, SP3.

If you click on the PRINT button at the top of the programmer, the print dialog opens as expected.
If you click FILE, then click Print... the programmer crashes with runtime error 482.

This is on my little netbook, which does not have any printer installed.

Does not bother me - I will just not click FILE/Print...!

However, if you click the PRINT button, the printer window opens, and tells you there is no default printer installed.
You click cancel, and are back at the IDE.

If you click FILE/Print... on the other hand, runtime error 482 kills PE, and it closes as soon as you click OK to the runtime error message.
Potentially, this could result in lost code, if you have not saved before clicking FILE/Print...

As I say - does not bother me now that I know of it, but perhaps something that needs to get tweaked in the next PE release, as not having a printer, should not really crash PE, just because you select it. Interesting how the button on the IDE opens the window for the printer, where it tells you that there is no printer, but FILE/Print... does not.

EDIT: I see there is a much newer version of PE - I will download that and see what happens.

MPep

You could also try installing, for example, CutePDF, just to give your little PC a printer. If that then works, all is well. If not, I hope that the updated IDE works out for you.

Grogster

Just for the forum's information, still causes a runtime error with the latest version, if you select FILE/Print... with no printer installed.

westaust55

Just for the forum's information, still causes a runtime error with the latest version, if you select FILE/Print... with no printer installed.
As a note, since a few others have been caught out (not reading the documentation):
By “ latest version”, in your upgrade from V5.4.2, did you install the full V5.5.5 and then just copy the two extracted V5.5.6 files into the PE directory to overwrite the PE BAS805 file (and revision history files).
Do not try to run the V5.5.6 executable to install it, as it does not install that way, just tries to run and will fail.

Grogster

I just ran the installer. I did uninstall the old version first though.

Again, it does not worry me - I am just reporting that it does this if there is no printer installed.