Router speed controller

Mad Professor

Good day all.

I have Power Performance FMTC1020R Router, that I would like to control the speed of via picaxe and or computer.

The router does have a built in speed controller that I am looking to adapt to suit what I need.

1st off let me just say I have a very healthy respect for mains voltages, and what to keep everything isolated as much as possible.

I could find the right symbol for D1 in DipTrace.

While doing some research on AC motor controllers I came across this YouTube video: Universal motor speed control by a microcontroller

So in my circuit above I would just remove VR2 and install a CdS photoresistor, and LED.

Would this be the best way to go about doing this?

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.

premelec

I think it's one of the easiest ways to go - assuming you have some shaft connected RPM feedback and you pay attention to the VOLTAGE ratings of the CdS or other LDR - and what would happen if the CdS shorts or opens... I've used this method for controlling common incandescent light dimmers...

Dippy

"I could find the right symbol for D1 in DipTrace."
- eh?

Is it a diode or diac?

No fuse, no suppression?

Have a look at this as an option:
http://www.velleman.eu/downloads/0/illustrated/illustrated_assembly_manual_k8026.pdf

Please be careful with this and PAY ATTENTION to component ratings.
Do be aware that heatsinking may be needed.
Do be aware of tab isolation or NOT!!!

You can get LED/LDR optocouplers readymade.
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp;jsessionid=X53O2GXQUJQZUCQLCIPJMMQ?N=0&Ntk=gensearch_001&Ntt=nsl-32&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&suggestions=false&ref=globalsearch&_requestid=288001

Check to see if resistance range is suitable.
But be aware that they vary with temperature (and therefore LED drive current).This will apply to a home-made version too.

It is possible to make a micro control the Triac directly, but I've never tried it with PICAXE BASIC.
Have a look at ST's App Note: AN308. Some good stuff in there.

Last edited:

eclectic

Good day all.

I have Power Performance FMTC1020R Router, that I would like to control the speed of via picaxe and or computer.

The router does have a built in speed controller that I am looking to adapt to suit what I need.

snipped
Perhaps you could explain what you need.
Then, the experts could help more.

e

premelec

For assured isolation [and Dippy's concern for my welfare] I usually put a piece of clear plastic rod between the LDR and LED and put that assembly in some black plastic shrink tube - shrink it and seal ends with something if needed and - do mark the positive LED lead before you shrink it up.... anyhow that gives several KV of isolation - if you need MV isolation use a plastic light pipe bundle between the LDR and LED.... for several feet... :)

Dippy

I'd suggest a laser from 50 feet , but one mention of "laser" will get hippy out of his coffin :) - especially if it was being used in a car.

I usually get worried from the "If you have to ask then..." principle.
And anyone who buy's Power Performance stuff can't be sane ;)
Take it back and buy Bosch or Makita or, if you have a headache, DeWalt.

PS. I couldn't really understand what he was on about either Ec , so I assumed he'd plucked a random super-simple controller from a random site and re-CADded it. I thought at first he was on about hacking an existing one...?

What is your real-life experience with ESCs and/or mains projects Madprof? Is this a school project?

Last edited:

premelec

vanishing schematic

Schematic's gone - I thought it was from a real owned circuit of the poster... naive...

Dippy - you are just short a dozen from 2^13 posts! You better up your cache or you'll run out... :) Thanks for all the interesting remarks and cautions... Happy Posting!

Mad Professor

Sorry I will try and be more clear with what I would like to do and do.

I would like to use a picaxe, as a closed loop speed controller for the above router.

I would like to set an RPM via press button or by pot, and then for the router to keep at the set rpm not matter how much or little load is put on the router motor.

I hope I am more clear with what I am doing to do now.

Looking to make a simple version of this:
Super-PID CNC open-loop spindle test
Super-PID CNC 5000 to 30000 RPM PID

Best Regards.

Last edited:

Dippy

So, you'll need feedback and PID then. i.e. a servo loop of some kind.

How will you measure the rotational speed?
Some kind of encoder?
Or is it to be a crude current draw arrangement.
i.e. how fussy do you want it?

If you can post your ideas for that then people can suggest the feedback and speed control code.

Just one thing, if this project is difficult to make robust and safe will you continue with it or drawerify it?

Can we just get one thing nailed first please.
I have never heard of "Power Performance".
Is it some standard low-cost brushed Universal motor or induction?

Oh , you edited while I typed...

Last edited:

Mad Professor

Power Performance Tools, is B&Q's own range of power tools.

Not that my router looks anything like that now.

I have also update my Schematic for you.

Piers

Can we just get one thing nailed first please.
I have never heard of "Power Performance".
Is it some standard low-cost brushed Universal motor or induction?
Think you'll find it's "Performance Power", is or was B&Q's own brand of power tools.

Piers

premelec

For an initial test I'd get a cheap light dimmer unit rated for roughly that power and see what happens - the inductive stuff could annoy the dimmer [or worse..] but incandescent lamps have at least 10x less resistance to start so initial current surge shouldn't bother - it's that sparkly noise that Dippy likes that could cause trouble ... if it works then use the LED LDR isolated coupler to control it... Armature inertia and such can give you fits in the control loop unless your needs aren't very critical.

BrendanP

You could use this kit from Au, is 240V 50Hz.

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=K6035

A lot of better routers have variable speed control as standard.

If you want to vary the speed "on the run" you could mount a small RC servo on it and control that with picaxe, isolation doesn't come much better.

I did some work with AC speed control on a incubator heater, its tricky and in the end I ditched it and went with simple on and off. The incubator still churns out the chicks though.

Last edited:

Dippy

Well, it was a little joke before my NYR kicked in. Nothing deep.

Based on years of use of domestic-grade power tools I always considered Bosch and Makita as the best, followed by DeWalt.
So, I was implying (with tongue in cheek and a smile) that if you think DeWalt is best then you are having a slight cerebral 'moment'. Obviously all of these are far superior to the cheap Beijing bangers.
Obviously since my NYR I am completely sympathetic to other people's opinions.
We are, each one of us, experts after all.
Therefore I will agree with everyone's opinions.

If modern Bosches are as good as the ones they made 5 years ago then I'm totally impressed. Not cheap , but at least you don't have to throw them away after a year. My stuff had a real pasting for a couple of years and still work, though the batts in my £200 drill are pretty well knackered now.
So, by spending a little more I am supporting quality and reducing landfill and redcuing import volume. I love the environment and quality.
How about you fellow Earthlings? I will agree with whatever you say.

BrendanP

I just came off a $300 million job here Dippy, they had a tool supplier who sold them $100,000's in power tools mostly all Dewalt cordless, they took a hiding like you wouldn't believe for 18 months in the hands of blokes who didn't give a shit and kept on going. I've got Hitachi, Makita and Bosch and now a lot of Dewalt cordless I bought on line direct from the US.