rolsen

rolsen

I'm trying to setup an 08M to play the old "21 matchstick" game - you remove 1 to 3 or 4 matchsticks from a line of 21, other player does the same, one left with last stick loses. Any ideas.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
There are three parts ...

1) How each player indicates how many matchsticks they've taken
2) The software core which keeps track of whose go, how many taken, how many left
3) Indicating victory or loss and restarting the game

Lots of possibilities. You might have an LCD or seven segment display showing how many matchsticks left, you might have a wooden block with 21 pegs representing the matchsticks.

Any ideas of your own as to what you'd like to do which would help point you in the direction you want to go ?

rolsen

21 game

Thanks Hippy
Yes, I was thinking of 3 pushbuttons feeding 3 inputs and 5 leds, move 1,2 or 3 and then showing picaxe move (after thinking delay) with I win led and I lose led. Poll inputs into variables, use dec calculation from 21 down. Last version I saw of this game used old 4 gang PMG uniselectors. Thanks for guidelines

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
With that much I/O it might be worth considering a 14M or 20M, or even something larger, 18X upwards. That would also give you a lot more programming memory. Even though the computer-play rules as far as I remember are quite simple you still have to deal with detecting button pushes and controlling LED's.

Sounds like a fun project.

rolsen

21 game more

Thanks Hippy,
Your right, I have had this in mind for some time as a fun project, after I saw it years (decades) ago in an old Radio & Hobbies "reader built it". Your suggestion of seven segment display is one I hadn't thought of - good idea. I had thought of picaxe o/put to 2 x 4017 counters to run a lit led along a line of 21 leds.

The simplest wired version is to use 21 small nails alontg a board code wired underneath, with an aligator clip to run/make moves and 5 leds (1,2 & 3 "borads move request) and I win & I lose leds.

Other old board games could be picaxe adapted (I have an old book "electronic puzzles & games" author Matthew Mandl, Gernsback library N.Y. 1958. used tin strips, torch globes & 1.5V batteries. Stan "manuka" would love it.

I'll post final project if successful.