RFID module/help

Jixz

Ok, im thinking about experimenting around with and RFID reader ( can't decide between a parallax or something more like an ID-12 ) but i dont really have very much background knowledge in wiring electronics. Some help on what direction to turn in and maybe some instruction on wiring/programing would be greatly appreciated. Basically i want the reader to output the tag ID and the picaxe to check the ID and if it is in the list of ID's then just output a HIGH sting to one of the outputs ( just for use for projects down the road ). All ive gotten so far is that you have to use the serin BASIC command.... which i have NO clue on how to use..

So thanks for the help in advance.. you guys are great!

Dippy

OK, you're off to a great start...

Have you tried searching on RFID, I did and got a lot of hits. Some may be appropriate?
Try it first and come back if no help.

papaof2

The ID-12 ($30US from SparkFun) has a 9600 baud TTL or RS232 output. Because of the 2mm pin spacing, do spend the extra $1 for the breakout board so you can fit it to a standard breadboard or socket.

If you use the right PICAXE and clock speed, you can read the serial string the ID-12 produces. However, there are some limitations when using serial on the PICAXE - do a forum search on 9600 or check the PICAXE manual for SERIN and HSERIN (depending on the PICAXE you plan to use).

John

Jixz

ya, ive done a few searches already.. ive found a few of threads on this.. but none that really are as elementary as i would hope.. so i decided to start my own.. i just need most of this dumbed down a LITTLE so i can get it all straight in my head.

So before we get too in depth to this.. is the picaxe going to be my best/most easy way of just having the tag read and checked against a few tags?

Can someone explain the buad rates?
How i can set the clock of the picaxe?

djmikeys

Hi,
I'm trying to use the picaxe 18x with the RFID reader module from parallax. A tag came with the module but it did not say what its tag ID was. I have connected the module up to the picaxe and it seems to react to the tag so I assume it is connected up correctly. I am struggling to think of what code to use to read the tag. I am using:

main:
serin 1, T2400, b1
debug b1
goto main

When the tag is placed near the reader b1 gives a reading of 10 but will sometimes jump around to other numbers, how do I find out the tag ID and does anyone know of the code I should use to recognise the tag?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
@ mshorter : The RFID documentation describes the data packet; a 0x0A start byte, ten bytes of 'digits' and a 0x0D end byte, so this should do the job ...

Code:
Do
  Do
    SerIn 1,T2400,($0A),b1,b2,b3,b4,b5,b6,b7,b8,b9,b10,b11
  Loop Until b11 = $0D
  SerTxd ("RFID=",b1,b2,b3,b4,b5,b6,b7,b8,b9,b10,CR,LF)
Loop
You can display the SERTXD data using the Programming Editor Terminal, or replace that with a DEBUG command.

If it doesn't seem to be working try replacing T2400 with N2400.

manuka

Andrew Brightspark did some "poor man's RFID" ID12 work about 18 months back. Here's his posting-
I find the ID12 device ideal for most projects. It can be linked up with just some jumpers on the back of the ID12 and treat it as a "Three Wire Device"

Bring back three wires to the PICAXE / proto board... +ve, -ve and it just spits out a unique 12 ASCII character 9600 baud sequence when ever a FOB comes within range. The standard tags are NZ$5 each and come as a FOB or key ring but flat cards and or cattle ear tags are becoming available.

I have set up an over clocked 5% detuned 08M to read the 12 x 9600bd ASCII digits sent out by the ID12 at 4800bd. This "halves" the number of digits but still works fine for student projects.

What the student wants to do with the 6 unique ASCII bytes is up to them. Some cards can be set up as "master" and allow hierarchical control of the logic in the program etc, time switches. I make the 6 digits play a tune so you can “hear” your own unique code as you log in.

http://picaxe08.orcon.net.nz//Photos/PICAXE/Proto/Data/RFID.jpg

http://picaxe08.orcon.net.nz//Photos/PICAXE/Proto/Data/RFID-sch.jpg
Several Instructables cover simple RFID detection- check => http://www.instructables.com/id/RFID_Reader_Detector_and_Tilt_Sensitive_RFID_Tag/

Last edited:

AndrewBrown

Linking RFID tags to computer files

I have been playing around with RFID and I have a parallax RFID reader and 18x picaxe chip. I have got the reader reading the chip and trying to use "IF" statements to open a file but to no avail.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or has done this type of thing before. Iv been looking at the example RFID code but it hasn't helped me much as its rather complicated.

I'm trying to write code that would help me link a specific tag to a file om my computer so that when each tag was scanned it would be able to open that file, which could be a sound file or website or something.

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The PICAXE by itself cannot interact with the PC or its file system. You can send data to the PC using SEROUT and receive data with SERIN ( via a serial port or a USB-to-serial cable ) but you will need some application running on the PC which communicates with the PICAXE and then does whatever it needs to do depending upon data received. I don't personally know of any off-the-shelf applications which will do what you want.

AndrewBrown

RFID pulling up files

Well thats not exactly good news for me. A few people that I know are doing similar things but using a vmusic to play audio with rfid tags, but This is not so good for me.

I was directed in the way of using processing the program. Has anyone used this program and would it be much help for me? I just don't want to waste to weeks learning a new program which wont work.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
@ Andrew : I think you will need to clarify exactly what you wish to do. I don't know of any microcontroller which can directly interact and control a PC without some application software running on a PC (*).

I'm not familiar with the Processing language but presume that is what you intend to use as this application ? I believe that is primarily designed for other microcontroller platforms than PICAXE but may be usable with the PICAXE.

A PICAXE can interface directly to VMUSIC modules, RFID tag readers and other hardware but it is direct interaction with a PC operating system or file system which it does not have. That has to be obtained using application software running on the PC.

(*) A microcontroller acting as a USB HID device could have some limited control.

Mathy

28x 1 with RFID

Hello, i have been working reccently with RFID parallax and 18x picaxe but have decided i need a 28x1 because im using other components (vmusic2) also and the 18x doesnt have enough outputs.

I am not sure of code for the 28x1 and the RIFD.

I was using this code for the 18x chip

main:
do
SerIn 1,T2400,($0A),b1,b2,b3,b4,b5,b6,b7,b8,b9,b10,b11
Loop Until b11 = $0D
sertxd ("RFID=",b1,b2,b3,b4,b5,b6,b7,b8,b9,b10,CR,LF)
debug b1
and just running LEDs and a speaker that are set off when the appropriate tag is read.

Any help is much appreciated, I have had some great help so far from members so thansk again

Matthew

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The 18X code should run as is on the 28X1. You will have to change the input pin from 1 to whatever it needs to be if you are not connecting to input pin 1 on the 28X1 but that is all that should need to change.