reprogramming picaxe problem

Can I reuse an old picaxe 18 by reprogramming it with other code with a pic programmer or does the code protection prevent this. I have tried to do this but the picprog software says it does not recognise the chip (16F627)

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
You can reuse a PICAXE as a PICmicro this way. Clearing the code protection and configuration bits when you erase the device will wipe the PICAXE firmware.

I have tried this but it gets half way through the erase and stops then it won't recognise the chip, could it be a pigprog problem as picprog is quite happy to erase the chip if I tell it is a 16F84 instead of a 16F627, it still won't recognise it after this though

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It can depend on programmer ( software and hardware ) as the appropriate algorithm needs to be used to erase and program specific PICmicro devices. I'd suspect something amiss with the programmer rather than PICmicro.

The 16F628's work ok I have had a closer look at my 627's and they are o4 versions so maybe they never were picaxe 18's I have 4 of them and none of them are recognised by the programmer they will be new unused parts as I never got round to using them untill now

I have built another programmer and programmed the chips with it with no problem . I now find that they are now recognised by the BAS800 programer and work OK with it.
My BAS800 is probably one of the very first made, has it been changed or upgraded since then ? if so can I upgrade it, also is it compatible in function with any other common programmer, so what should I set other programming software to to use it.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I can't answer why the BAS800 would not reprogram the 16F627 earlier but will now and we will look into that issue. I also don't know if it has changed or been upgraded during its lifetime.

The BAS800 is compatible in function with other PICmicro programmers in that it allows erasing and programming of PICmicro devices and so on, but it uses proprietary software and a proprietary protocol over the serial link; you cannot use the BAS800 with other PICmicro programming software nor can other PICmicro programmers be used with the BAS800.

Other PICmicro programming solutions were equally proprietary in nature when introduced, their software only usable with specific programming hardware, they just seem 'less proprietary' as others designed hardware compatible with existing software and that software supported other programmers, It is still common to find that one choice of software doesn't work with a particular choice of hardware programmer and vice versa, and not all software nor programmers can support all PICmicro devices. It can often be the case that the software or hardware could support a PICmicro but the other does not.