regarding a tiny tv.

Hello all, It has been a long time since i have last posted a post on the forums. I have been incredibly busy recently and plus have been experimenting with the arduino platform. I have also been trying to research the raspberry pi but all i find is the same each time. So when I finnaly get the raspberry pi (Which I was one of the first people to preorder luckily) So my idea was to be able to incse the raspberry pi in a box with a regulator for a nine volt battery. I would also like to include a tv that has a composite connect to attach to the raspberry pi. SO what I am asking for is, is there a tiny screen I am talking the size of a ipone screen or similar that runs on 9v or less (so i can power it through a universal 9v battery) It doesnt have to be cased as I have access to a laser cutter for the rest of the summer (at school finished all our work).

That is pretty much the question i wanted to ask but as i am free i shall now talk about what is going on purely because i have nothing better to do in this free period.

So around christmas time i was trying to find a way to use the picaxe to drive a 8x8 matrix which i was able to do some letters and some cool patterns etc. I ordered some cheap maximun drivers which i really cant remember the name off. well any way they use a serial interface to transfer data. I had no clue on how to use them so they just went to my parts bin.

So over the half term i was wanting was reading about the arduino i new nothing about the programing language so i decided to buy a book from mr monk so i could read about the language. although it was a very good book it was only capable of teaching me the real basics of how to start programming and really how to do the electronics side but i really did enjoy reading it. IT also provided me with some test codes which i used to do some really cool stuff.

I find that when I have a look at a piece of code in visual basic or in c I understand it but the thing is i would never be able to write it myself because i dont no how to go about the syntax etc. But i can edit it and change some things.

I also managed to find a schematic to hook up the matrix to the driver chip and then through 3 wires to the arduino. It would flash letters from the string which you typed in the software etc. My plan was to edit the code and send data serially and then it display the data. But then before i could i wanted to run an lcd display so i got that working and found an example code to send data serially. I then wanted to edit this so i could send figures that would do certain things like if i were to send '1' it would turn the back light on or off. I tried to do this and every thing look liked it would work but i would always get some sort of error that would not resolve the problem for me.

So i am now back at square one. My aim was to try and be able to learn how to code for the arduino and maybe get a final project that i still havent managed to do. The closest i got was again using an example code to drive the classic 3x3x3 led cube (this was really fun) I have bought 100 leds and i am ready to build a 4x4x4 led cube.

If you read this than thank you, but if you didnt dont worry :L I just had 20 minutes so wanted to recab all what I have done over the past few months.

P.S Where can i find one of these tvs for quite a low price.

nick12ab

Does this need to be a colour TV? Does it need to be LCD?

5.5" black and white CRTs can be found very cheaply at car boot sales and charity shops and these run off 9-12V. Small LCDs can be bought with composite inputs and they run off 12V but these can be quite expensive and I can't find any cheap on eBay.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The Raspberry Pi can connect to any monitor or TV that has HDMI, DVI-D or composite video input. That later includes small, portable or handheld TV's and also some in-car DVD player screens. Cheapest source is second hand, carboot sales, 'Computer Exchange', 'Cash Converters' and the like and eBay.