Recomendations for small batch PCB manufacture company - For school use.

Blazemaguire

Hi guys,

Teacher here. We normally build our student PCB boards in house, but with the cost of Rapid's photo-etch board, chemicals and technician time it's working out quite pricey to do this. I have heard lately that there are a few firms that do very reasonable prices on small quantity production runs of PCBs.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations or experience of firms (ideally UK based) that do this? We are looking at approx 350 PCBs (we are a very large school!) about 50mm x 40mm size for each board

Though it removes some of the 'learning' from the experiences (i.e, students cleaning the PCBs, drilling the component holes) it would free up a lot of technician and lesson time to do other things.

Education is in a state at the moment and D&T (in my school at least) is losing money and curriculum time like there's no tomorrow so anything to save some pennies and claw back some lesson time can only help.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time.

Blazemaguire

Thanks Technical,

It's not for a PICAXE based PCB, those we tend to build in house regardless because each year 10/11 student has their own design. This is for a simple year 7 steady hand game that is pre-designed for them (thyristor latch) - We're running about 50p a board price at the moment making our own.

Any recommendations on overseas firms? I don't mind a bit of lead time as these would be needed for September.

Dartmoor

I know people who have used ITEAD with good results.
Pobably worth investigating?

Another possibility (lateral thinking) is if your school has a cnc mill?
I have heard of people using them to put breaks in the copper and drill holes etc. Just a thought!

MartinM57

...looks like around $175 for 350 off at 50mm x 40mm delivered by DHL (so about 10 days order to UK door in my experience) plus VAT charged by DHL from the "Open PCB" part then "Small batches" option at

http://imall.iteadstudio.com/open-pcb.html

I've had probably over 1000 PCBs from them at various sizes with 1 duff one so far

You'll need to send them the Gerber files of course - do you have them, or just artwork?

Blazemaguire

Thanks guys. I have artwork at present generated from circuit wizard, but also a very talented sixth former who knows how to use proteus (Industry level.pcb software) I'm sure I can subcontract him to draw it up in Gerber format. Thanks for the leads, looks like it may well work out cheaper. Also haveing pre drilled holes and silk screens for the component side will make for less headaches during assembley with the kids. If anyone knows of anywhere else they would recommend please let me know.

srnet

So by 'pricey' what do you mean ?

How much in materials is it costing you to make a 50mm x 40mm board ?

nick12ab

Thanks guys. I have artwork at present generated from circuit wizard, but also a very talented sixth former who knows how to use proteus (Industry level.pcb software) I'm sure I can subcontract him to draw it up in Gerber format.
All competent PCB software can export to Gerber format and that should include Circuit Wizard.

Blazemaguire

So by 'pricey' what do you mean ?

How much in materials is it costing you to make a 50mm x 40mm board ?
Well.. the Rapid boards currently cost £16.35 each for an economy single sides board sized 305 x457mm.

With wastage (because the board is not great quality at the edges, nor is our school equipment great) we probably only get 55 boards out of that size if we're lucky.. so approx. 30p in board materials. When you add in the chemicals )£16 for a gallon of ferric chloride that would probably only manage the whole batch, and the technicians time (even though it's minimum wage.. poor guy!) we are near to 50p a board.

So I guess £175 to run the batch of 350 in house... or $175 (£112) for professional boards if the indicator above is good. - A substantial saving, and the boards will have silkscreens and drilled holes which is a bonus for the classroom.

The biggest issue in the classrooms is broken 1mm drill bits from students rushing the drilling and kids putting components in the wrong holes as they can't follow the PCB plan (no matter how detailed you make it!)

Also, You're quite right, circuit wizard does do Gerber format, so I can do that quite easily.

RexLan

Seems a contributor to the "learning" is making the PCB as a class and there is intrinsic value in that which is lost with a commercial board.

Most DYI'er make boards from time to time and it is a good skill to have.

Blazemaguire

Seems a contributor to the "learning" is making the PCB as a class and there is intrinsic value in that which is lost with a commercial board.

Most DYI'er make boards from time to time and it is a good skill to have.
Agree with you, but we have so little curriculum time with year 7 (A single 50 minute lesson a week, with other projects involving Resistant materials, Graphics, CAD/CAM to compete that lesson time with). This leaves no time to show them the photo etch process anyway. We leave that for the older one who opt to electronics as a GCSE. Smaller classes, more time on the subject and they design their own PCBs in circuit wizard anyway.

srnet

So I guess £175 to run the batch of 350 in house... or $175 (£112) for professional boards if the indicator above is good. - A substantial saving, and the boards will have silkscreens and drilled holes which is a bonus for the classroom.
I can certainly vouch for the quality of the ITDStudio boards, well finished, no rough edges, plated through holes etc, they are even good enough for use in Satellites.

The other advantage of course, is the rate for small batches of 10 is very good indeed, I just paid £14 for 10 off 100mmx50mm PCBs from them

periscope

hi, if you wish to send me a sample .pcb I will discuss with my hod.cut you a sample and hopefully work out a deal.

Last edited: